Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My iPad2 is locked /frozen. it shows ONLY USB plug with arrow

Customer Question

My iPad2 is locked /frozen. it shows ONLY USB plug with arrow pointing to iTunes logo. Pushing "sleep" and Off/On switch together and/or separately - even for several seconds, will not open my iPad2. It was also charged overnight. I tried all the steps noted in the "Dummies for iPad2" book.

Would appreciate help?? Thank You, XXXXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers didn’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, you are rating my Service to you and Not the Outcome of the answer or this website.

Your iPad is not just frozen. This usually happens if there is a hardware problem or if the software of your iPad is corrupted.

You have to restore your iPad from iTunes on your computer. You can restore it by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) Mode. DFU Mode is a mode which will allow you to restore your iPad to working condition. Put your iPad to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) Mode and restore it from iTunes. Follow the steps below to put your iPad to DFU Mode;

• Connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.
  • Open iTunes application on your computer
  • On your iPad Press and hold the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time.
  • After exactly 8 seconds release the Sleep/Wake button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.
  • Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPad will remain blank. Let me know if get any errors while restoring.

If you don't have iTunes on your computer, download and install it from here : http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until we solve the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry - absolutely nothing happened after trying the steps you suggested.

Actually, itunes said that I would have to replace all settings/hardware and I would lose all files, photos, documents etc. "do I want to do that ---I said no, at this stage. I think I shoulld send the device back to Apple Canada (online) and ask them to see what they can do. What do you think?? Bernie

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bernie,
Sorry for the delay. Had to go offline since it was very late in here. Unfortunately, you have to restore it. That is your only way. The USB Cable pointing to iTunes indicates that your iPad needs to be restored. If you had synced your iPad with iCloud or iTunes, then you can restore everything back after restoring your iPad. You can also redownload all past purchases for free from iTunes Store.

If you send it to Apple, they will restore it and put a fresh OS in it. I wish I could give you a better answer, but this is the only answer to your question

Let me know what you think. Please don't rate me as Bad or Poor Service if you are not satisfied.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I will send my iPad2 to Apple in Canada to get it restored.

Thanks for your help. However, I don't feel that my problem was totally solved and repaired. I did try to restore it with the help of "iPad2 for Dummies" and arrived at the same conclusion that you did.

Please advise what you are charging me for your assistance? Thanks

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, Since you didn't use my service, you don't have to pay me. And you didn't paid me yet. But you made a Deposit to JustAnswer's account to ask the questions.

You can contact Cutomer Service's email atXXX@XXXXXX.XXX for refund or you can get refund from here : http://www.justanswer.com/refund/refund-1-2/refund.aspx

Please don't rate me as Bad or Poor Service for helping you. You don't have to rate me anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

January 4,.2013

I finally had to take my iPad2 to a Apple store affiliate in a city close to my home, and they were able to restore my iPad2. Bernie

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
I'm glad you got it sorted out..

Best Regards,