Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Hello...first off thank you for having this! I have my new

Hello...first off thank you for having this! I have my new I movie 11 and I can't seem to find what I am supposed to do to get my footage off my camera to import into my apple computer on myImovie just keeps going to the actual camera on the lap!
Heidi Smith
Lakeview Oregon
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

What is the model and make of the camcorders ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I need you to please call me asap....I have tried everything and I need to get this footage uploaded for our business and I am just stuck. XXX-XXX-XXXX please help!

Unfortunately I can't call you. JustAnswer won't allow me to call you and we can only communicate here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have my video camera with footage I need to import into iMovie 11 so I can start editing it and it won't upload. I have tired all the trouble shooting from the book and even tried another camera with footage and bought a new fire wire...I won't upload..only brings up the camera built into the lap top.

I need to find out what key or whatever is on I movie 11 for my Idvd to get this footage transferred. I can not figure it out why It will not import my footage. Thanks for the help....I need it;) Heidi

I will try my best to help you. What is the model and make of your camcorder ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its a Sony Network Handycam 3ccd mega pixel

Model DCR-TRV950

thank you for the help

Thanks for the info. Not sure if you already tried this, but I want to make sure we cover all parts.

Connect your camcorder to your Mac with the Firewire cable. Then open iMovie application. Then put your Camcorder to Playback (Play) mode. (this is important step). Your Mac should recognize your camcorder. If not, click on iMovie menu and select Import from Camcorder.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied and solved the problem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Askik...I tried this and when I go up to import in only gives me the camera on the lap top option...not the camcorder.

That means your camcorder is not talking to your Mac. What does your camcorder shows on its screen when it is connected?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just shows the blue screen and it plays my footage. My dad hooked up his new sony to make sure its as not the camera and it did the same thing. We have trouble shooted with 3 cam corders total so I are pretty sure its not the camcorder and I did buy a new fire fact two of them and tried them both so that is why we think its something on the lap top not picking up the cam corder to put it in the file options...again it only gives me the choice to import off the camera on the lap top and out of archives. This lap top is bran new...I have not loaded anything onto it period. Heidi

There is no special setting needed on your Mac. DV Camcorders are plug and play devices. You said this is a new laptop, is this is the latest Macbook Pro ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

New MBPs comes with Thunderbolt adaptor, not inbuilt Firewire port. You are using a Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptor. Correct ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have no idea what a thunderbolt is Ashik....I just have the fire wire...where do I get one? there is nothing in the trouble shooting book that mentions it...only a fire wire....this must be the issues and if so where do I buy one?;-)

Latest Macbook Pro comes with Thunderbolt ports, not Firewire ports.
You will not be able to fit in the Firewire cable to Thunderbolt port. You need Thunderbolt to Firewire Adaptor.

Does your Mac's ports looks like this ? See picture below;

BTW Thunderbolt is a revolutionary I/O technology that supports high-resolution displays and high-performance data devices through a single, compact port. It sets new standards for speed, flexibility, and simplicity. Thunderbolt I/O technology gives you two channels on the same connector each with 10 Gbps of throughput in both directions. That makes Thunderbolt ultra fast and ultra flexible (from Apple)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It has just one thunderbolt on it...not two

Is this is a Macbook Air ? See picture below;
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is a Mack book 13.5 inch mac book pro model A1278

Could you please give me the serial number of your Mac ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. Your Macbook Pro have a Thunderbolt port, not the Firewire port. Did you just connected the Firewire cable to the Thunderbolt port on your Mac directly ? Without using any Adaptor ?

The Adaptor I'm talking about, is this one :
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ashik....I think we found the answer...I had NO idea I even needed a thunderbolt period...all I have is a fire wire so now I know why it would not take anything. Please tell me what thunderbolt I need to have to make this work so I can buy it now;) I need to confirm that I also don't need a fire wire ...just the thunderbolt is that correct? Heidi

You need to the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter. Apple store should have them or you can buy it from here :

I hope you didn't damage the Thunderbolt port of your Mac by plugging the Firewire cable. BTW Your Mac is eligible for free repair until 2015

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Thank you for the Excellent Rating and the tip. Greatly appreciated ! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Happy New Year,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You are very welcome!! I just got it ordered and should be in business soon!!!!! Bless you!!!

You too and thank you !

Take Care,
Hi Heidi,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Let me know if you need any help...

Best Regards,