R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell, Mac Support Tech
Experience:  A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin
45119205

i have a Macbook 13 inch i bought in July 2009, which is now

i have a Macbook 13 inch i bought in July 2009, which is now having display problems. Screen has gone dark, sometimes it comes back but then again it goes dark.
Category: Mac
Expert:  R.A. McConnell replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be happy to help you with this.

Unfortunately, what you're describing sounds like a problem with either the inverter board or the backlight inside the LCD display. The inverter board can usually be changed out separately, but the backlight is exceedingly delicate and will normally require replacement of the entire LCD (even for trained technicians). A very few people have reported being able to replace just the light inside the otherwise sealed LCD display unit, but many have caused permanent damage to their displays doing so.

Were this mine, I'd be looking for another 13 inch Macbook (check your exact model to be sure you get the right one) with a good display on an auction site. It should swap in fairly easily if you're handy with a screwdriver and very careful. There are videos on the net that show how to do this. If you're not comfortable doing the work yourself, most independent computer repair shops that have Apple laptop experience will be happy to do the replacement for you.

Another option would be to use this laptop with an external display, although it's much more difficult to use it as a portable workstation like that.

If you would like clarification on any of these points, more depth in my answer, or if you have additional questions with regard to this matter, please don't hesitate to ask for more information by responding to me here and I'll be happy to continue to lend a hand.
R.A. McConnell, Mac Support Tech
Experience: A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin