Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Merry Christmas !! The multi-colored pinwheel has taken-up

Merry Christmas !! The multi-colored pinwheel has taken-up permanent residence on my screen. I tried Norton AntiVirus, but I need to upgrade from OS X 10.6 to OS X 10.8.
Actually, I just want my computer speed back. How do I upgrade to OS X 10.8, and will that solve my pinwheel problem?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

Disable or Uninstall Norton. You don't need any AntiVirus on your Mac as long as you are on latest software updates. AntiVirus applications will only make your Mac slower by running in the background.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that improves the speed of your Mac.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)

1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode
(Solution 2)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode(Solution 3)
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. This will boot your Mac into Single User Mode. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck -fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Also, you can download and install this 10.6.8 Update from here :

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Hi Ken,I'm glad to hear that worked. Let me know if you have any questions.

Merry Christmas,