Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Hi My macbook pro is full charged but th screeen wont

My macbook pro is full charged but th screeen won't come alight so I enter my password XXXXX access the computer.

Any suggestions/help?

Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

When did this problem started ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yesterday evening

Have you did any software updates or installed anything prior to this problem ? What really happens when you turn on your Mac ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No software updatesinstalled.

When I turn on the mac, (using the hard reset) the keyboard lights up cetain buttons work (e.g.) F11 sound will make a beeping noise if I touch it.

Is this the Macbook Pro with removable or non removable battery ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not sure Ashik. I bought the mac book por 2 years ago. I can't see any where that the battery can be obviously removed from.

By the way, I'm base in the UK, so it helps to phone my number is XXXXX 1428 68 46 16

It has a non removable battery. Sorry, I can't call you. JustAnswer won't allow me to call you. We can reset the PRAM and NVRAM and also reset the SMC of your Mac.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM

1. Press and hold down the Power button of your Mac for 10 seconds and this will turn off your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (Apple), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.
  7. If that didn't work, then reset SMC (see below)

Reset SMC (System Management Controller)
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Ashik, this sounds positive. Sorry fo being thick but I can find/locate tehe "option"key... cmmd, P an R are obvious. Where is it/what does it look like?

Option key is the alt key, next to Control key.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Ashik. i've tried both but neither apper to have worked. Although interestingly, when I did the 2nd option the keys now make a noise when I press them.

Any furhter thoughts?

I haven't heard back from you Ashik? Is there anything else I can try or should I take the laptop to an apple store?

Sorry for the delay..apologies. When you turn on your Mac, does it make any beeps (without pressing any keys) ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The first solution you gave worked in that I got the 3 chimes whilst holding the 4 keys down. I then released the keys and got a further chime sound. But the screen didn't light up

It sounds like a hardware problem. I want you to turn off your Mac for 20 minutes and also unplug the Power cable. This will clear cache or temporary memory of your Mac. Then turn it back on. If that didn't work, then it must be a hardware problem and you will have to take it to the Apple Store for repair.

This usually happens if the Logic Board/Display is failing or it must be related to RAM too. This is something we can't fix online.

I'm really sorry I couldn't solve your problem. Please don't rate me Bad or Poor Service if you are not satisfied.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Ashik, I'll do as you suggest. And don't be concerned about bad or poor servie - I appreciate that if it's hardware failure you can't help fix this remotely.

I'll let you know the outcome in 20 minutes.

Thank You. One more suggestion. Take out the RAM from your Mac, clean them and put it back. See here :

This also happens if there is any problem with RAM too.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Ashik, i'll give this a go. one fina question: I've downloaded lots of music from apple i tunes onto my iphone but it offor95% of them I can't listen to them unles I have web access/service.

Could this be somthing to do with settings etc?

That is strange. You don't need internet access to listen to the downloaded Musics. Are the musics are purchased from iTunes Store ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes they were. It's really wierd. A couple of soungs work, all the ohters are "greyed out"

Delete all those musics that are not working and then redownload them from AppStore. Since you already purchased them, you can redownload them for free. See here :

Then connect your iPhone to your computer and open iTunes. In iTunes, select your iPhone. Click Musics tab next to Apps, Info etc tabs. If the "Sync Musics" option is enabled, disable it and then Sync. Then enable it back and then sync again. Let me know if that didn't work
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks ashik - can you outline the steps I need to delete all the songs from my i phone?

Sure. Did you bought the songs from your iPhone's iTunes Store or from the iTunes Store on your computer ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I bought them on both.

Delete them on your iTunes on your computer and then sync. To delete them from your iPhone, open Musics and just swipe your finger over it and a delete button will appear. Tap on it to delete.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Ashik - that's great, I can now delete all the songs not working on my i phone.

However, given I can't access my mac book pro I dont think I'll be able to delete these. And I don't have the right size screwdriver to take apart the back of the Mac to extract and clean the RAM. So'll I'll go to the store for that part.

Once I've deleted all the music from my I phone, will I then be able simply dowload it again from I tunes store without the need of my macbook pro? And if so how would I do this? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX very helpful.

Yes, you can redownload them for free. See below;
  1. Open the iTunes Store on your iPhone
  2. Make sure you are signed in with the same account used for the original purchase.
  3. Tap More from the bottom navigation bar.

4. Tap purchased on the navigation bar

5. Tap Purchased to go to your Purchased page.

6. Tap Music.

7. Once you've located the music you are looking for, tap the download button.
  8. Tap the download button

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Ashik, I'm through to stage 5 of Tap Music but not stage 6

"Once you've located the music you are looking for, tap the download button." I can't see a download button

Can you see a cloud like button ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. I've gone through all the steps but don't see this option.

Where I'm left at is being able to view all the individual songs that I've downloaded previously.

I'm in hte purchased music section of I Tunes

Select/Tap any one of the song and what options can you see in the screen ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ah, brilliant thanks! that works.

Quick queston, I've around 100 or so songs to use the cloud to download each song individually. I can see at the top of the screen a "donwload all" section. Will that just spend 30 mins or so and do it all for me rather than having to "cloud" each song individually?

Yes, Download All will download all the purchased songs to your iPhone at once.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Brilliant - thanks so much Ashik - You'll be getting the top rating from me for all your help!

Thank You, but I'm still sorry that I couldn't solve your Mac problem.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You too, all the best. Regarding the Mac problem, at least I know now there's an issue with the hardware rather than making a wasted to journey to an Apple store - because I tried the two checks you suggested to establish the issue.

Thanks. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,