Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  10+ years in hardware/software experience

Ive got a DVD stuck in my iMac and I cant get it out. Ive

I've got a DVD stuck in my iMac and I can't get it out. I've tried disk utility but it locks up and now the entire computer is not working right. Any ideas?
Thank you for the question. Please try the following to force eject the DVD:

1) Open a terminal and type drutil tray eject
2) If that does not work, restart the computer while holding down the mouse button

The DVD should come out using one of the methods above. If not, let me know and we will pursue alternatives. I look forward to your reply. Thanks again!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have tried the drutility command in terminal but the system won't execute the command. The DVD shows up on the desktop as a drive rather than a disruin just tried the restart with the mouse and still nothing. I keep having to turn the machine off as it won't let me restart any other way. I keep thinking there is something bigger going on here than just a stuck disc.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it sounds like there is some underlying issue rather than just a stuck disc. I thought we'd start by just getting that out first. When you restarted the machine, were you holding the mouse button the entire time it rebooted, until it was fully booted? It will almost always eject the disc during some point in the boot process if you're still holding down the mouse button.

What is the other behavior aside from the stuck disc? Can you explain in as much detail as possible?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's like there is no spare memory and everything takes so long to execute. It has all just started out of the blue, never had this type of issue since switching to mac. It took two tries with the mouse button on restart and it finally came out!! Is there a system diagnostic I can run to make sure system aching is functioning properly?

Glad to hear it came out. I'd start by launching Activity Monitor. From there you can see the CPU, memory usage, and can also sort running processes by CPU usage or memory usage. I'd suggest checking to see if any processes are consuming a large amount of either CPU or memory. If so, it's best to investigate what those processes are and kill them if necessary. Of course, I'll be happy to help out with that if you find something interesting. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks again!