Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Os X software update not working

my software update tells me I have no updates to install, but my OS X version is very old 10.5.8, and flash wont run under this old version...

Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

Could you please give me the hardware specs of your Mac ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mac OS X version 10.5.8

2.66 Ghz intel core 2 Duo

2GB 1067 Mhz DDR 3

Currently you are on the latest update of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. But the latest version of Mac OS X is 10.8 Mountaion Lion. You can't download it from Software Update option.

Your Mac can handle the latest Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. To install 10.8 Mountain Lion, you have to upgrade to 10.6.8 Snow Leopard first. So buy the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Retail discs and upgrade to it. You can buy it from or

Then you can buy the 10.8 Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard's AppStore application as digital download for $19. After upgrading to Mountaion Lion, you can install latest Flash Player. Upgrading is easy, just put the discs and follow the onscreen instructons.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.