Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I downloaded the mac osx upd combo 10.7.3 version to be able

I downloaded the mac osx upd combo 10.7.3 version to be able to download quick books [because apparently I have not updated our mac in awhile], after 18 hours of downloading the 10.7.3 version it now says I can't open it because I need the mac 05x version 10.7....I'm so not tech savoy so please help!!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ? Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I find this info out?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac. You can find the version of your Mac OS X in there.

Also, click More Info in there and copy and paste all info from there to here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10.6.8
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac. Click More Info in there and copy and paste all info from there to here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please note, I don't feel comfortable providing all the info to you...I'm sure you can understand; hopefully you can gain a better understanding with the info below:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.47f2
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the only info I need. The problem is, you are using Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard and the update you downloaded is for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

10.6, 10.7 and 10.8 are the Major OS X versions and 10.6.1, 10.6.2, 10.6.3, 10.6.8, 10.7.1, 10.7.2, 10.7.3 etc are the minor updates for the OS Xs. Minor updates of one version of OS X can't be installed on other Mac OS X versions.

I mean updates of 10.7 Lion can't be installed on 10.6 Snow Leopard

Basically, 10.7.1, 10.7.2, 10.7.3 etc are the minor updates of 10.7 Lion and can only be installed if you are running 10.7 Lion. In the same way 10.6.1, 10.6.2, 10.6.8 etc updates can only be installed if you have 10.6 Snow Leopard installed.

Your Mac is capable of running the latest Mac OS X 10.8 Mountaion Lion. I'd recommend to upgrade your Mac OS X from 10.6 Snow Leopard to 10.8 Mountaion Lion. You can run all OS X 10.7 application on 10.8 Mountaion Lion too

You can buy Mac OS X 10.8 Mountaion Lion from AppStore (as digital download) for $19. See here : http://www.apple.com/osx/

You can find the AppStore application in the Applications folder.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc