John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.

I have created a list of addresses in an Excel file. I am

Customer Question

I have created a list of addresses in an Excel file. I am using an OS X Mac. I go to Manage Mail Merge in Word. I tell it to Create new labels. In that same window appears 2. Get recipient list. When I click on it, I get nothing. I can't seem to get that list into the Word mail merge. Everything else works.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

First you need to make sure that the addresses are correctly listed in the excel file. Any gap or empty header could cause a problem in mail merge. Would you be able to send me the file so I can check it for you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I send the file?

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.
You can go to http://www.wikisend.com/ and upload the file using the Browse button (no need to signup) then copy the "File ID" number (or the download link) that you will be given and paste it here in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information let me know before you upload it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did this 3 times looking for a browse button. Did you mean the upload button? The first time I get ID# XXXXX

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What's happening?

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.
Checked the file and it looks fine

I used that file to create a list of labels using mail merge and here is a sample of the result

graphic

I can send you the file with the labels if you can tell the type or size of labels you would like to use
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I want to know how I can do this myself.

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.
Preparing the instructions takes much longer than doing the work. Let me send you the file with the finished result. If it works for you I will then prepare the instructions after rating the answer. Ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. I'm using Avery 18160. actual size 1" x 2 5/8".

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

Ok here is the doc file with all the labels

Attachment: 2012-12-16_202345_m.docx

Thanks. In the meantime I will prepare the instructions...

John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience: Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

Ok? Any problems?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How did you get the Excel file into Word?

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

I'm preparing the instructions. As agreed please go ahead and rate the answer. You can add bonus later after finishing the instructions

Thanks

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

Here are the step by step instructions

Attachment: 2012-12-16_234831_mail_merge_instructions.docx

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just realized that the first three names and addresses of my Excel file you were working on yesterday did not print. Do I need to send the file to you again?

Also, your final directions to me--I can't find any mailing tab on any of my bars when I am in Excel. There is a "Mail" on the tools list, but it is not bright. It won't do anything for me, so I'm no better off than before. I have Excel 2008. Can you tell me what to do? Can you redo that mailing label lsit?

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

No problem I will do it again and also will fix the printing of the first three names

Please send me the new file

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Didn't you get the file? I'm been out of the house and just returned.

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

No, I'm waiting for you to send me the file ID # XX I can download it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just replied to your latest e-mail and attached the file. I thought I did that this afternoon. Should I do something else?

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

No you need to send it the same way you sent it yesterday. Here are the instructions again

Go to http://www.wikisend.com/ and upload the file using the Browse button (no need to signup) then copy the "File ID" number (or the download link) that you will be given and paste it here in your reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's not giving me a File ID. It just asks for a file name. Then it says it can't find it. I think that number is XX my files now, socan Iattach it and send it?

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

Ok try uploading it at this site, then send me the download link that you will get

http://www.ge.tt/#!/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I send it? The file title shows up but I can't move it.

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

COPY the link that they give you and PASTE it here

.

You are able to send me the first file, so happened? why can't you send it the same way as you did before

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see no link. How do I COPY? How do I paste? The first time I went to wikisend they gave me an ID #. Now they don't. At the other link I uploaded the file from my Excel list. It now shows in a box. In fact, I did it twice, so there's two boxes with the file name. Above them is a box that says UPLOAD. I click on that, and it just takes me back to the file list . I don't think I need a third box. At the very top, there's a box that says drag and drop. I can't get anything to move. My only problem is that the first three lines of my file have no labels printed.

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

After it finishes uploading the file, copy the web address from the top of the browser, as shown below, then paste it in your reply to me

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
\

Or you can attach it by email to the site moderator at info@justanswer,com , putting "John D" in the Subject line, and asking them to forward it to me. It might take a few hours until they can forward it to me

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ge.tt Gett sharing

If this isn't right, I'll try the e-mail.

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.
No that's the web address BEFORE it finishes uploading the file.

Yes I think it's better to send it by email. Will take some time until they forward it but I will eventually get it

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.
Ok I got the excel file this morning and I created the labels and printed them to make sure that. all labels get printed including the first set, which they indeed did.

Here is the label file

Attachment: 2012-12-18_145427_m1.docx

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry. Everything works until the file appears. There are no names, etc. Just labels with titles in place,

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

hmm.. I'm not sure what is happening in your system. Everything is working as it should on my end.

Anyway I created a stand alone document with the addresses which should make it easier for you to use independent of the excel file and print your labels from it

Attachment: 2012-12-18_163905_m3.docx

I also converted the file to a pdf file in case you want to use this file to directly print from

Attachment: 2012-12-18_164020_m3.pdf

Also here is the print preview image showing that all the labels with the names etc print ok from the Word file

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Hope this helps