Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have a iMac 17" Core 2 Core all-in-one computer and need

I have a iMac 17" Core 2 Core all-in-one computer and need to install the OS X 10.5.2 operating system. When installing the original dist 1 of 2 a message says that I can not install this software on this machine. Now I can not get the disk out of the CD slot of the computer. Can you advise on how to get the OS installed.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

Are those are the discs came with your Mac ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just know that the disk are original disk for iMac and are 10.5.2 version.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I purchased the machine from a 3rd party without the original disk and purchased the disk separate.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
How do you know they are the Original discs ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The disk have the apple logo on them, so I assume they are the original install disk as I was told by the seller.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
The Mac OS X discs (gray color discs or Restore discs) are machine specific discs, means that the Mac OS X on that disc can be installed only on the Mac came with it. I mean, the discs of one model of iMac can't be installed on the other iMac model. The error you are getting simply indicates that disc is not compatible with your iMac. Apple designed it in that way.

If you want to install OS X on your Mac, you have to buy either the Original installation discs for your Mac or you have to buy the Mac OS X Retail Discs. Retail Disc can be installed on any Macs. Retail Discs are not machine specific.

The best option is, buy the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Retail disc and install it on your Mac. You can buy the 10.6 Snow Leopard Retail Discs from eBay.com or Amazon.com for less than $100

To eject the disc from your Mac, restart your Mac and immediately hold down Eject key on your Keyboard until the disc ejects or immediately hold down the left/primary mouse button unti it ejects.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did what you suggested to get the disk out of the cd slot without success. Any other suggestions.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to boot into the disc ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes the computer boots up with the scrolling ball with the OS disk in the cd slot.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Turn off your Mac for 10 minutes. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Option key on your Keyboard. This will bring Startup Manager screen. From there, hold down Eject key until the disc ejects. Did that work ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That did not work. I tried multiple times with out success. I hear the cd disk trying to eject while holding down the eject key, but it will not eject the cd.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
It seems like it is stuck there. Boot into disc, click on Utilities menu and select Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select the disc and can you see Eject icon there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I selected the eject button in the disk utility. a message says Eject jailed this disk could not be unmounted. Make sure that all apps and files are closed. How do i close apps and files

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
There are no apps to close. We can reset the PRAM of your Mac and then eject. Follow the steps below to reset the PRAM
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys and turn it back on.

Then turn it back off for 20 minutes and also unplug the Power cable. This will cool down all components of your Mac. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Left mouse button for 30 seconds. Let me know if that didn't work

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to eject it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will be leaving for several hours, and will be checking back with your suggestions this afternoon.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ok..Have a great day,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried your last suggestion and the disk still will not come out of the optical drive. I still get the message that the disk could not be unmounted and to close all applications and files.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I finally decided to open the case and was able to pry open the disk by moving over the white pin inside the disk drive while hitting the eject button on the keyboard and the disk popped. Finally solved.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. It was very late in here and had to sign off. It was jammed in there. I'm glad you got it out. If you like my service, please rate me as Positively.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc