Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I am trying to upgrade my OSX 10.4.11 to the newest version

I am trying to upgrade my OSX 10.4.11 to the newest version in the least expensive way.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

Could you please give me the hardware specifications of your Mac ? You can find that info from Apple menu > About This Mac > More info
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

iMac, iMac7.1, Inter Core 2 Duo, 2 GHz, Processors 1, # XXXXX Cores 2, 4MB, Memory 1 GB, Bus Speed 800 MHz, iM71.007A.B03. SMC Version 120f4, Serial # XXXXX

Currently your Mac can handle only upto Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. But if you upgrade the RAM to 2GB or more, your Mac can run the latest Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

Apple is no longer selling the 10.7 Lion, but you can buy the 10.7 Lion Thumb Drive from Amazon or (Used or New. New ones are over priced).

See here :

I'd recommend to upgrade your RAM and install 10.8 Mountaion Lion. That is more cheaper and better than installing 10.7 Lion. To install 10.8 Mountain Lion, you have to upgrade to 10.6.8 Snow Leopard first and also upgrade the RAM to 2GB or more. So buy the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Retail discs and upgrade to it. You can buy it from or

You can get 10.6.8 Snow Leopard for less than $100 from

See here :

Then you can buy the 10.8 Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard's AppStore application as digital download for $19.

You can buy RAM for your Mac from here :

Upgrading is easy. When you get the Snow Leopard discs (or Lion thumb drive), just put it on your Mac and follow the onscreen instructions.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. This sounds reasonable. If time, I will try it today and get
back to you.

No Problem. If you are upgrading to Lion, I'd recommed to upgrade the RAM too. I've heard that Lion will not work properly if you don't have atleast 2GB of RAM.

If you are not upgrading the RAM, then don't buy 10.7 Lion but buy and install 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Let me know how it goes...

Have a great day,