Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Videos taken on my iPhone 4S will not playback on either my

Customer Question

Videos taken on my iPhone 4S will not playback on either my imac or mac mini once imported into iphoto. What can I do about this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

What happens when you play them ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nothing, they sit in iphoto as if they were still images

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Click and drag it out from iPhoto to desktop. Now, can you play it ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it played but in a very jerky way. Not smooth at all.

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Does it play Jerky on both Macs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just tried the mac mini. I'll go and try the imac now. The audio was ok on the mini.

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
There is a known glitch with iPhoto and iMovie. Some video playbacks are jumpy or jerky, but this only happens when imported through iPhoto.

Try importing with iMovie applicaiton. iMovie is the best app for managing videos. Open iMovie, click on File menu and select Import. Then Import the videos. Then try to play them.

Also, you can use VLC Player to play those videos if Quicktime is not working properly. Get it from here : http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The video played on my iMac when I dragged it to the desktop. It played on the Mac mini but only in a jerky fashion.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Did you see my previous answer ? It is a common glitch with iPhoto and iPhone
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, just read your previous answer now. I'm looking for iMovie now, by searching on Finder. I don't seem to have it. I import photos and videos simultaneously. Should i get imovie to import everything. Will it function like iPhoto? (autosplitting events etc).

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You can use iPhoto for organizing Photos and iMovie for Videos. iMovie functions in a differnet manner, it is a video editor. Did you searched the Applications folder ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
iMovie does allow to import the videos based on Events
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

iMovies is now generating thumbnails for my videos. It did this unprompted, which i like.

By the way. I downloaded an mp3 file to use as a ringtone on my iphone 4s and I don't know how to install it as a ringtone. i tried to drag it in to ringtones using phone view but it won't go.

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.

You can't set MP3 as ringtone on your iPhone. You have to convert it into the ringtone format. See here : http://www.pcworld.com/article/156234/Turn_Any_MP3_into_an_iPhone_Ringtone.html

Let me know if you have trouble creating the ringtone and I will help you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have the mp3 file on my desktop but i don't know how to change the file ending. I dont know how to "right click" on the iMac

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Select the file, just press return key and that will allow you to change the name to .m4r

Or hold down Control key on your Keyboard and do a normal click, this is considered as right click

After changing the extension, drag the file back to iTunes. Then select your iPhone in iTunes. Click on Ringtone tab next to Summary, Info, Apps etc tab and make sure the "Sync Ringtons" option is checked there. Sync
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the new version of itunes does not have a ringtone tab in that place...

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Did you imported ringtone to your iTunes ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

now i've changed the mp3 to m4r it wont play and it wont go in to itunes. losing the will to live

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
What happens when you click and drag it to iTunes ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
On your Mac, download and install the trial version of this application : http://www.imtoo.com/ipod-computer-transfer.html

Let me know once you did that...
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have to go out now. the m4r file won't play. I have the song on my phone and computer but I cant make a ringtone out of it for love nor money.

Thanks for trying to help

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
We can continue later. Trust me, we will sort this out. Add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me later.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as positively.

Thank You,