Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

HELLO, TECH, I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY A PROMPT THAT MY WORD DOCS

HELLO, TECH,

I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY A PROMPT THAT MY WORD DOCS WON'T OPEN. I TEACH ONLINE, SO I MAY HAVE A VIRUS, I DON'T KNOW. HELP PLEASE.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

What version of Word are you using ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I guess it's 6.0.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
That is not correct. Is it Word 2008 or 2011 ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You know, I am not sure. Where do I find out?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Open Word, click on Word menu and select About Word. You can find the version number there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't open Word though.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
What happens when you open Word ? Are you getting any errors ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. It says "Word unable to open.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Does this happens with Power Point and Excel too ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't use them, so I don't know.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Just open it. Let me know if you are getting same error with it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I hope I don't lose you.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No, Did you got my last reply ? Open Power Point or Excel and are you getting the same error ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I went into Office, and was able to open Presentation. Is that what I am supposed to do.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, so the problem is with Word. In Power Point, click on Power Point menu and select About Power Point. What is the version of Power Point ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Don't I access them via Office Org3?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Are you using Open Office ? I thought you are using Microsoft Office.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As I told you, I am very challenged here. I can create a doc via Office, but when I try to open my students' papers with Word, I can't.

At one point also, I got a prompt that said that Office had crashed. It was while I was working on one of their papers.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I understand, but to troubleshoot futher I need to know what Office application are you using. There are many Office applications i.e MS Office, Open Office and Neo Office. It seems like you are using Open Office.

Lets start troubleshooting. When did this problem started ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Today, this afternoon. I was working on one of my student's papers, and then I received a prompt that said it had crashed. Since then, I have not been able to open any of their word docs, and most of them have been saved in a folder on my desktop in Word.

I have tried trying to change the Word doc to Text Edit so I can read their papers, and it usually lets me. I am going to check Office. What it said when I opened it is Office Org. 3.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info. What version of Mac OS X are you using ? Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's 10.6.8.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Close Office applications. In your Mac, open your hard disk Macintosh HD and open Users folder. Open your Home folder. Open Library folder. Open Application Support folder. If you can find OpenOffice.org folder there,then trash it.

Then goto Macintosh HD > Users > Library > Preferences folder and trash the file org.openoffice.script.plist and also the org.openoffice.plist file from there

Then download and reinstall Open Office from here : http://www.openoffice.org/

Now open Office. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Ashik,

I got as far as the part where I go to the Preferences Folder to find the Org. Opne office.script.plist. I can't find this. ??

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ignore it. Did you found the Org.Openoffice.plist file there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't see anything re: Office. Also, in a step above, I never saw the Open Of. Org. Folder (that you said I might see) to trash.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Close Office applications. In your Mac, open your hard disk Macintosh HD and open Users folder. Open your Home folder. Open Library folder. Open Application Support folder. Can you find the Open Office folder there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. I can find the Open Office folder here--the way you suggest.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Trash it. Then goto Applications folder, open Utilities folder. Open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column. Click Verify Disk, then Repair Disk and then Repair Permission.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, Ashik, I get as far as Clicking Verify Disk, then I can't go to Repair Disk.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Does it reported any errors while verifying ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, no errors reported.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Then you don't have to Repair Disk. Repair Permission now. Let me know..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am running Repair Permission, and it says it will take 34 mins, and it doesn't seem to budge from there. ????

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Wait 5-10 minutes and let me know how it goes
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
If it is frozen, then force quit it by pressing Command + Option + Esc key. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have waited the alloted time. Nothing.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Force quit Disk Utikity by pressing Command + Option + Esc key. From Force Quit window, select Disk Utility and click Force Quit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was not responding correctly. The curser just kept rotating. I had to shut computer down.

The command key is the shift key, right? I am frustrated, and it's not your fault.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I understand your frustration. The Comman key is the Alt key. Now, download and reinstall OpenOffice from here : http://www.openoffice.org/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just checked one of the papers saved in Word, and I can open it.

Should I still install the link above?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
If you are able to use Word, then No. No need to reinstall. Its all fixed..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are a savior! What do I owe you?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Glad I could help you. If you are satisfied, please rate me as Excellent Service.

Make sure you add a bookmark of this page or print down the answer. So you can refer in the future if it happens again.

Happy Holidays,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will do. You will get an excellent rating. Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help.

Happy Holidays to you too. I send you warm breezes, and

Aloha, :)

Dixie Durham

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much. Aloha :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ashik,

I don't have PayPal. Will they put the tip on my credit card I submitted?

Best and aloha,

Dixie

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I think so. Thank you so much and I greatly appreciated the unexpected Tip. Please come back again if you need our help in future.

Merry Christmas to you and your family..Aloha,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will indeed. You, too, Ashik. You have saved me. :)

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad I could help you :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Let me know if you need any help in future...

Best Regards,