Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

My ipad keeps telling me Activation required. Then it tells

My ipad keeps telling me Activation required. Then it tells me it will take up to 3 minutes to activate your ipad. Then it restarts and goes through the same process...I have had this ipad for 2 years and never had a data plan on it. How do I get past this step? It is a first generation ipad.

Sorry to hear that your ipad is not getting activated...:(

Don't worry. Let's try some troubleshooting here.

I believe you have tried a reset. if not, try it. Press and hold the power button and the home button together until you see an apple logo.

If that does not resolve your issue, we would need to try a restore.

Open itunes in the computer and connect the ipad. Now, on the ipad, press and hold the power button and the home button together until you see an apple logo. The very moment you see the apple, let go off the power button, but keep on holding the home button for another 10-15 sec.

Your computer would now give a message that it has detected an ipad in recovery mode and needs to be restored.

Restore the ipad now and let's see whether that resolves your issue.

Let me know.

Thank You
Vinod

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did the ipad recovery and in setup it gets to the same part and says "It may take up to three minutes to activate your ipad." Then the apple logo shows up and it restarts again. This is the spot that I cannot get past....

Then I am afraid the software is corrupted...:(

After the restore is complete, did you get the option whether to set it up as a new ipad or to restore to from backup?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My only option is to restore from backup.

Sorry for the delay..

I am really sorry to say the bad news. The software is corrupted on the iPad, and it needs a repair or replacement

You would either need to take it into an apple store nearby or call apple care.

Really sorry for not able to solve your issue...