Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

iphoto opens but will not create books or calendars. updated

iphoto opens but will not create books or calendars.
updated operation system recently to mountain lion (had problem before the upgrade. have 12 RAM, and have used less than 4. Your thoughts would help.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

What happens when you create Books or Calendars ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when it goes to the "book page" and i select the book style, and hit create it will not allow me to select the photo page layout, nor will it do and auto placement of the photos. basically, there are not options to click on in either the book or calendar creation functions.

What version of iPhoto is this ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

iphoto 11 (9.23 (629.52)

We can reset the preferences of iPhoto. Close iPhoto, In finder, Hold down Option key on your Keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will take you to the Library folder of your User Account. Open Preferences folder.

Trash the file "com.apple.iPhoto.plist" from there. Restart iPhoto. If that didn't work, then rebuild your iPhoto Library.

Rebuild iPhoto Library
  1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
  2. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
  3. Open iPhoto.
  4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  5. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select all the options/checkboxes
  6. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.

If that didn't work then rebuild your iPhoto Library with this application, iPhoto Library Manager (just try the trial version) : http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

To rebuild iPhoto Library with iPhoto Library Manager, open iPhoto Library Manager, click on File menu and select Rebuild. Backup of your iPhoto Library before rebuilding.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

want to rate your expertise ( which is great by the way) and give you many thanks for the solution, but can you tell me what happened to iPhoto that it "crashed". i cant rebuild right now because i have to back up the file (more than 45,000 images in iPhoto. so its gonna take a while.

This is a common problem with computer applications. Your iPhoto will crash if it can't load the library properly or if it can't load the preference/configuration files or if the application is corrupted.

Let me know how it goes..

Best Regards,
Hi there,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Let me know if you need any help in future...

Best Regards,