Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

My Macbook (or it might be just my Firefox browser on my Macbook)

My Macbook (or it might be just my Firefox browser on my Macbook) keeps directing me to and related bogus sites. I bought MacKeeper and ran virus checks, to no avail. (Was that a waste of money?). And I would really appreciate help removing this.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

First, get rid of the Mac Keeper SCAM !! Its a virus that will kill your Mac slowly. Now, back to your question. What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Version 10.7.5

And can I get rid of Mac Keeper, just be dragging the icon to trash. Do I then need to also empty trash?

Yes, but I'd recommend to use this application to uninstall Mac Keeper completely from your Mac :

Uninstall MacKeeper and all its related files using the above application.

To fix the Firefox problem, first we can reset Firefox and see if that works or not. Close Firefox. Then in finder, Hold down Option key on your Keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will take you to the Library folder of your User Account. Open Preferences folder.

Trash the file com.mozilla.firefox.plist or org.mozilla.firefox.plist from there. Restart Firefox.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I quit Firefox, opened Library folder and found org.mozilla.firefox.plist and dragged it to trash.

I'll need a little more time to be sure if it has worked.

In the meantime, I'll:

1. Remove Mac Keeper with that free download app you recommended and

2. I need to know if I should leave untouched the other file org.mozilla.firefox.plist.lockfile which was right below the one you named.

Take your time. Trash the org.mozilla.firefox.plist.lockfile too

Add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me anytime you want. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, the news is not good.

While I have used the App Cleaner and hope that has settled the MacKeeper app removal issue (unfortunately that's $39 down the drain), I've just had two signs of continued infection with the findgala malware.

1. When I click on Calendar from my Gmail, it takes me to the new window but tells me that Google Calendar is temporarily unavailable. This has been happening ever since findgala started acting up.

2. Then, clicked on another website and it took me to the familiar brightly colored bogus websites of the findgala malware. So it's not gone.

Let me know what you suggest?

Sorry for the delay. Apologies. We can completely eliminate findgala malware from your Mac

First goto Activity Monitor from Applications > Utilities folder. If you can see any process related to Findgala, then Stop/Quit it. Then goto Applications folder and if you can see any files related to Findgala, then trash it. Then in Applications folder, open Toolbars folder and trash all files from there.

Then goto Macintosh HD > Library > Internet Plugins folder and trash all files from there.

Goto Macintosh HD > Library > Cache folder and trash all files in there

Then open Terminal application from Applications > Utilities folder and run the command below;

sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

Then change the DNS of your Mac to OpenDNS. Follow the instructions in here :

Restart your Mac. Let me know if that didn't work.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. I didn't find any Findgala in Activity Monitor

2. Also didn't find any Findgala files in Applications folder

3. There was also no Toolbars folder in my Applications folder, so couldn't remove that as such.

4. The Internet Plugins folder was already empty

5. I did trash all files in Cache

6. I also did type in the Sudo command in Terminal, then I restarted.

I will watch for how Firefox works and will get back to you if trouble emerges or those bogus websites pop up again. I'm already a bit concerned because Google Calendar *still* gives the "temporarily unavailable" message.

Google Calendar has nothing to do with the Findgala, I believe. It must be down. Can you try Calendar after some time ?

Also Search Findgala in Spotlight search and if it returns anything, trash them all. Let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I definitely intend to rate your assistance, and I'm quite sure it'll be a positive rating. However, I want at least another day to be quite sure that the Findgala does not return. So far, so good - it's looking hopeful. Except for the GCalendar issue: one of the known problems with GCalendar is "interference from a third party" and so I remain suspicious about why my GCalendar is still "temporarily unavailable" .. not on my Safari, but only on my Firefox. I feel it is related because it started to happen around the time that the Findgala thing began to mess around with my Firefox use ... and also because I've read online that Findgala specifically undermines Google software.

Please bear with me ... again, I haven't forgotten that you need a rating from me soon.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

VERY BAD NEWS. I returned home to my laptop this evening and, on clicking a link in a Google Search, I was redirected again to a findgala bogus website:

Please help. Just as I feared, this is resolved. The Findgala malware is very vicious. How can I remove it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

p.s. I meant it is *not* resolved. Please help.

Sorry for the delay. What is the current DNS Servers set on your Mac ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is the OpenDNS numbers that you gave me. Actually, I had already changed to these OpenDNS numbers a couple weeks ago, before I contacted you -- picking this tip up from some place online.

Does this happens only in Firefox ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, that is my observation so far. For example, because I no longer can use Google Calendar on Firefox, I have recently been opening Safari just to access my Google Calendar. It always works there, but not on Firefox. Still, I don't use Safari much at all ... all I can say is that, on the few occasions that I do, I haven't had trouble there with Findgala. I suspect if I started to use it more, it's possible that my Safari too would get infected (?).

It seems like there is some kind of plugin installed for Firefox. We've to find and delete it. First we can uninstall and reinstall Firefox. Use this application to uninstall Firefox completey :

Then download and reinstall Firefox
Hi there, Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I have uninstalled (with App Cleaner) and reinstalled Firefox). I'm going to wait now a day or two just to be absolutely sure, and will report back to you soon about whether Findgala is entirely gone, and then rate your assistance.

One hopeful sign already is that Google Calendar on Firefox is finally working again!

Thank you,

Ok. Let me know if it happens again

Best Regards,
Hi there,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Let me know if you need any help in future...

Best Regards,