Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Have MacBook. Run Mountain Lion. First wifi was down whilst

Have MacBook. Run Mountain Lion. First wifi was down whilst working in Word. Tried to re-start in order solve problem. Get initial sound when starting, then screen turns grey with the Apple logo and the "circle indicating work" under the Apple. Don´t get ant further. Mac is charging.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if it works or not. First try Disk Utility.

• Turn off your Mac.
  • Turn in back on and immediately hold down Option at boot and select the “Recovery” disk at the boot menu
  • This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu
  • Select Disk Utility.
  • In Disk Utility, Repair your disk and Repair Permission

If that didn't work, then reset the PRAM and NVRAM and also try to restart in Safe Mode.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode

Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Let me know if that didn't work, so we continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What is "Hold down option at boot"?

I mean the Option key on your Keyboard
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don´t know which key that is?

It is the alt key next to the Control key, in the bottom left
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Same thing happens - gray screen with logo and circle

That indicates that either the system files are corrupted or you Mac can't read the internal hard drive. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time. Does it boot into the Recovery screen ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tried option two, and have screen OS X-utility. Four options; recover from time-machine back-up, Install OS X again, Get online help and Disk utility. Whick alternative du You recommend?

Select Disk Utility. Then select your hard disk in left column. Then click Verify/Repair Disk and then Repair Permission
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Started with "verify disk". Scanning complete: Volume Macintosh HD appear to be OK. Have not yet used "Repair disk". What now?

If Repair Disk is active, then click it. Then Repair Permission. After that, restart your Mac.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Used repair disk. In a second the green bar flew up. No question with repair permission. Restart and again gray screen with logo and circle.

We have to reinstall your Mac OS X. Boot into Recovery/Mac OS X Utilities screen again and this time select Reinstall Mac OS X. Reinstalling OS X won't delete any files from your Mac. It will just replace the system files with new one
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Started with reinstalling OS X. 4 minutes left.

It will take a while to reinstall OS X.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It was 4 hours, not minutes

That is correct. Let it complete the process. Add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me later.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I´ll do so! Do You think problem is solved? OS X is downloading so wifi is working. Wifi not working yesterday was the reason for restarting mac and the start of the problem.

Yes, it should work after reinstalling the OS X. This is a common problem with Macs. This happens usually when the system files are moved or deleted.

Let me know if that didn't work, so we will continue troubleshooting.

Take Care,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Problem solved! Thank You very much. It was my daughters Mac and she had an assignment on the Mac that she has to deliver tomorrow. Worked out nicely

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

I'm glad you got it worked...

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,