David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified

Hi I have a power book G4. Forgot password XXXXX my husband

Customer Question

Hi

I have a power book G4. Forgot password XXXXX my husband started messing around with my computer to hook it up to wireless in the house. It started asking for the password XXXXX then when I put it in - was told not the right password XXXXX then I did a reboot which got me through the registering process but would not complete it and keep returning me to the welcome and step by step again. Now I did something and I cannot remember my process - but I am at a screen that now is blue with a smaller screen in middle telling me to restart. Which I have done several times. What should I do at this point?
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Please hold the power button until the power is off.

Then start, and hold Alt. Release Alt when you see the spinning gear.

This can take up to 15 minutes to start, so give it some time.

When you are started let me know if it says Safe Boot in red at the login screen, and if you can login.

Please let me know what happens.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi David,

Thank you. XXXXX - blue screen with three icons - circular arrow on left - system in middle w X - straight arrow on right on screen point to right...

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Please release the keys, then click the X and then the arrow, and quickly hold the Shift button.

Wait until the grey spinning gear and release.

This should say Safe Mode.

Thank you,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi David,

Thank you for helping. The gear is still spinning. Might this take some time or is this not right?

Lynn

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

It is actually doing stuff in the background that doesn't happen with normal startup, so yes this is normal. I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear.

This may take a while to troubleshoot, I hope that is OK.

In the event that a reinstall of Mac OS X is needed, do you have the install discs?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I do have the install discs. I do have time - Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will I lose data or saved documents with an install?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lynn,

Unfortunately we won't know that for sure, but the chance is low.

Give the spinning gear about 5 more minutes.

If it doesn't start let me know, if it does, then let me know too.

Thank you,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay - starting up with the welcome screen...

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Now you can release the Shift key at this stage.

We are hoping to see a login window with Safe Mode written in red letters.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

at the - Use English for the main language - screen?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Is that the screen you see now?

If so it has booted to the install disc, not sure how it happened.

Let me know what is on screen at the moment?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is a grey screen with the Apple icon and under it is - Mac OS X -

then it is asking for - language choice - then arrow for next

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Still unsure if started to the install disc, please choose language and progress.

What does the next screen look like?

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not have the disc in - should I?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Welcome - asking to register apple product etc...United States then continue...

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

No, not yet, but it looks like the setup assistant.

This still doesn't mean data loss though.

Continue in the assistant, but enter test for all the required fields.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok - at the enter your apple ID - put in "test" and now it is attempting to connect

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

At the registration information page - not connected to the internet - should I be? Is this the problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have seen this pop up each time I have tried to complete the registration process - Error - Local account creation failed - Note: this exception originated in the server,] ***- [NSPathStore2 rangeofString:options:range:]: nil argument

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

No, this is no problem.

It's hard to explain why, but this is the setup assistant as if the unit was just unboxed.

This doesn't mean your account folder is gone though.

Just use the word 'test' without quotes where ever there is a required field.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry - i did - just wrote it that way to you. So now we are at the end with the unexpected Error pop up - if I hit quit we go back to the welcome intro...

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lynn,

Sorry about that!

OK, insert the first install disc next, then power off holding power.

Then power on, and hold Alt.

Then you should see the option of the round disc instead, select it and let me know when you get to the installer.

Thanks for your patience.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok at installer - asking for main language

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
hi,

Next go through the installer and choose Macintosh HD.

At the stage Select a Destination, click Macintosh HD, and click Options.

If you can't find Options let me know.

Let me know which option is ticked.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am at Select a Destination

Select a destination volume to install the Mac OS X (picture) system 74.4GB

Then under this - You cannot install Mac OS X on this Volume without changing your install settings. A newer version of Mac OS X is installed.

What do I do here?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Click the Options button, and there are a series of options, which one is ticked?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Archive and Install

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Is it possible to tick 'Preserve User and Network Settings'?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No - does not look like this is an option

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Click OK and continue with Archive & Install. If the data is OK, this won't affect it.

Sincerely,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Installation complete - will restart in a few seconds

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok -now we are at - Do you Already Have a Mac? do I answer:

yes, transfer my info or no, do not transfer my info

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
No don't transfer.

Sorry for the delay, I can be much snappier with my answers now if you want to fire out the questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok - at Your apple ID - now registering

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Excellent, keep me posted.

Thank you!
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there anyway to retrieve lost data, documents and pics?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help! Just a bit side tracked with the lost data...

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lynn,

The state of data on the disk hasn't been know from the start, we can only tell how easy or difficult it is to secure the data after we complete these steps.

Are you at the Desktop yet?

Let me know when you get to Desktop.

Best regards,
David.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi David,

Thank you again for helping me today. I will try to connect with you again- maybe sometime tomorrow - to find out if the data still available on my mac.

Best,

Lynn

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

No problem Lynn.

Regards,
David.