Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

RA Sha

Customer Question

I am getting 'finder quit unexpectedly' and spotlight continues to index the mac. I have tried a clean install, tried reinstalling from time machine and used the terminal window to try and delete finder prefs ... all without success. Any ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Click the Apple in the top left, and About This Mac.

What does it say for version of Mac OS X?

What does it say for Processor?

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mac OS 10.8.2

3.06 intel core i3

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

3.06 i3

10.8.2

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Open /Applications/Utilities/ and launch Disk Utility.

Select Macintosh HD, and click Repair Permissions.

Let me know what it says at the end.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

already done that and it says fine

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Shut down.

Then hold Alt at startup until you get Startup Manager.

Select Recovery HD and continue.

Select Disk Utility.

Select Macintosh HD and click Repair Disk this time.

Let me know the message gives at the end.

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

already done that twice ...

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any devices connected?

Have you reset PRAM and SMC?

When you did a clean install, does that mean you erased Macintosh HD, and reinstalled?

When you did that did you test it for a while without recovering from Time Machine.

Thank you in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unplugged device, reset pram and smc, done clean install twice by erasing hard drive .... did not wait before recovering from time machine

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

When you erased the hard drive to reinstall, and then recovered from Time Machine, it was as though you had not even done the erase at all. That's because Time Machine puts back everything as it was. That will mean we can't use any findings from any troubleshooting step, it's as though they weren't done.

Did you do a straightforward Recovery, without erasing the drive, and not recovering anything from Time Machine.

That is the best thing to do next.

Reboot holding Alt, choose Recovery. Go through the process, and then test the issue before doing anything else.

After you have tested it please get back to me and let me know how it went.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've discovered the source of the problem: an over heating fan that I have now installed a piece of software to control.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

That's great, I'm glad.

I hope it gives you no more trouble.

Sincerely,
David.