David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified

RA - 211

Customer Question

I have sierra wireless. I am unable to connect. I just had my mac upgraded to snow leopard. I have had it for 1.5 years prior to this and have not had a problem. It comes up with "fatal error".
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Were you able to connect before, did it stop when you upgraded?

Do you have an Ethernet cable we can use for troubleshooting?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It stopped when i upgraded. No ethernet cable.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

When you click the Airport menu in the top right, what is listed?

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

airport, ethernet, firewire

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

The Airport menu looks like a fan in the top right, on the menu bar at the top.

The first item should say turn Wifi or Airport off. What networks are listed?

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2wire741 (mine, connected), lipinski (neighbor)

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Click the Apple menu, and About This Mac.

What version of Mac OS X does it say?

Thanks in advance,

David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.6.8

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Click the Apple menu, and System Preferences.

Click Network, and click WiFi.

Under status, what IP address does it say?

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

192.168.1.104

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Click the Advanced button in the bottom right, and then the DNS tab.

What DNS servers are listed?

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

192.168.1.254

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Click OK, then in the bottom left of the window make sure the padlock is open, click it if not.

When the padlock is open, click Advanced again, and click the DNS tab.

Delete the current entry using the minus button, select it first.

Then enter these two:
8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4

Click OK, then click Apply.

Now open the browser and test.

If the same let me know which browser you are using,

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Same. Fatal error. Firefox

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Go to Applications and try with Safari. Double click Safari.

It might be specific to FireFox.

Let me know how it goes.
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Even though it is unlocked the DNS server reverts/defaults back to 192.168.1.254

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

We can reset that later if needed.

Does Safari open?

In Safari try opening this address 192.168.1.254

Does anything load?

Thank you,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I get the ATT uverse account info for my devices listed on the page

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

That's good, and does it load Google at www.google.com ?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Excellent, so we know the problem is only with FireFox.

Download and install the latest version of FireFox to see if that fixes it.

www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Let me know if this gives you any problems.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But even when i am in Safari, the fatal error message still comes up. Not sure why that means it's a Firefox problem? Please explain. Downloading new version of firefox now

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

I was unaware that the message is still appearing.

You are downloading the latest FireFox on the problem Mac?

Does this mean the message doesn't mean you have to close Safari?

It looks like a plug in or startup item, what is the exact text of the error including error numbers?

Does it have an icon of an application in the error window, which app?

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, to the first question. Your other questions are not clear. I have to leave for an appointment. I will contact you people later to see if someone else can help me. Maybe they can call so this can get resolved more quickly than sending emails back and forth. Frustrating.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the frustration, it is not the usual type issue, so it is not one easy to troubleshoot.

I will be available to continue when you are ready.

Hopefully the latest version of FireFox will resolve it, if not then there are some quick fix steps that won't take too long.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure why there are quick fix steps when you say it is not easy to troubleshoot. I will restart everything and see.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Quick fix steps are those which only take a small amount of time to try, but they are stab in the dark type steps. They are recommended when dealing with an issue like this, and are just checking startup items and preferences.

The issue is obscure, and we haven't exactly pinpointed the cause yet, so it does require a lot of questions and information to try to pinpoint what it is.

Normally only a description is needed, or maybe a question or two. In this case there is no indication what is causing it so we start with quick fix steps, and move onto isolation steps which take longer.

Sincerely,
David.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Did you get a chance to try those steps? Please get back to me if you've any problem.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I spent an hour online with you and was no closer to a solution at the end of the hour. I went and bought a new air card, which I was trying to avoid, but with you being unable to help me I had no other option.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

You make it sound like it was my fault, when I was the one you came to for help.

Is the issue resolved now?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I paid for your service and then had to buy a new air card anyway since you couldn't resolve the issue. Don't ask me to be happy about it.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

I didn't finish or advise the new card, but I hope it resolved the issue.

To find out you needed a new card involved troubleshooting, that's how these things go.

Of course I'm not asking you to be happy about it, but I don't want you to believe that it is something I did, or that what we did was nothing.

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't imply you helped me. Yes, we spent an hour, but I paid for what should have been results, not time. I spent too more time and money that was necessary. That is far from helpful.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

The issue you had was not 'helpful', but please separate my help from the issue. I didn't cause it, I began working on it with you.

Ultimately you got someone else to finish, and they said you needed a new card. In my opinion they sold you a card when it wasn't needed. You should have stayed troubleshooting with me.

You haven't been charged for this question. You only pay if satisfied and rate an expert good or better.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My card has absolutely been charged. If you say I didn't need a new card, why couldn't you solve the issue? I spent an hour with you. You may get paid by the hour, but I needed results and you didn't come close to delivering. You need to focus your service on results not activity. Big difference in my world.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

You deposited to your account on JustAnswer but you have not been charged for this question. You can request a refund of your deposit.

I don't get paid by the hour. I don't get paid anything if you don't rate the question or rate it below average.

This was never going to be instant, and some issues need longer to pinpoint.

I said I thought that you didn't need a new card because it was recognised fine, the only indication of an issue was of a software issue.

It was not that I could not solve the issue, it was that you didn't want to be thorough with the troubleshooting.

The result you got was nothing to do with me in the end.

Diagnosing a problem is a result, I'm sorry you felt you needed to get it somewhere else. Somewhere I believe sold you a new card when you didn't need it.

If you had stuck to troubleshooting with me I believe we would have solved the problem without the price of a new card or fitting it.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will request a refund and we will see if it happens. The lack of result was all about you. Sorry if that level of accountability is difficult for you. I was will to let this all go, but you re-contacted me. If you want to escalate it, I'll accommodate you.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

I need to reply to anything you post, so I am not replying to escalate anything. I also don't want to escalate anything.

If you reply to this I will have to reply again.

Have a nice day,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Name and phone number of your supervisor, please.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

I will send the question to customer service. You can also contact them and give them this link.

We have category moderators, I don't have the name of anyone.

David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Convenient.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

I have sent a report to the category moderators.

David.