David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

My Apple iMac turns on with the sound and the Apple logo appearing,

Customer Question

My Apple iMac turns on with the sound and the Apple logo appearing, then there are a few clicks and withing 20 seconds it turns itself off again.

It was fine when I went to bed and not working in the morning. This machine is only 7 months old, and is an all in one desktop.
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Do you hear a physical clicking noise inside the iMac?

Thank you,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

This means the hard drive has failed, and it needs to be replaced in a service centre, it is not possible to do it at home.

Where was the unit purchased?

Do you know your closest Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider?

Thank you in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This machine was purchased in Spain, hence my difficulty in finding a service engineer, preferably one that speaks English. Also it is a large unit to return anywhere.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

The warranty from Apple is worldwide. Are you still in Spain?

Let me know where you are and I can advise the best options.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am in the Almeria region of Spain close to Mojacar. I believe there is an engineer in Almeria which is 100k from where I am. I would love to be able to find one a little nearer.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

The closest is Almeria, but you can phone Apple and arrange collection and return.

There my be a small charge for collection and return, as the warranty doesn't cover this. However ask for an exemption, and say how far you are, how unhappy you are that it has failed in warranty etc. and it should be OK.

Here is the number from Spain, but you will speak to a person who is multilingual or you will be transferred.

(34) 902 151 992

Let me know if it gives you any problems.

Sincerely,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks very much for your hel, this is what I suspected. I have already tried this number it is the phone help line. They are not keen to offer too much help unless you have a contract with them. It is only free for the first 3 months.

I have an address and phone number of the repair people in Almeria, I just need to pluck up the courage to try and deal with Spanish on the phone.

Lovely idea about collecting it, I doubt that they would ever arrive as I live in the mountains and no one is keen to come up here.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

It really is worth trying with the phone number I gave you. Where you are makes no difference, and there is a good chance the pickup will be free.

You will speak to a Spanish and English speaking person. I worked in Apple European headquarters for over 5 years, and have many Spanish friends there. They have a Spanish desk, but all agents speak good English.

If you decide to call Almeria, they may charge for collection. I thank you for your rating, and remember you can ask me any follow up questions you may have.

Let me know if anything comes from the phones calls.

Best regards,
David.