Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

Updated my itunes on windows today and now my ipod classic

Updated my itunes on windows today and now my ipod classic will not sync
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 1 year ago.

Don't worry. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

Do you get any error message while syncing?

Also, are you able to play those songs (the songs that are not syncing to the ipod) from the computer?

Thank You
Vinod
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I can play. I have itunes match on my windows 7 laptop. I updated to itunes 11 (something) automatically today and then could not open itunes. I uninstalled then re-installed and had trouble syncing my ipod 160g classic. I restored to factory settings and can now only sync 339 out of a library of 2740 songs....could these be my purchased songs. itunes has a lag when playing on my laptop....could it be streaming from the cloud? So can I get my entire library on my ipod again please?

Thank you, Roger.

Let's try a basic sync now.

Open itunes and connect the ipod.

Your ipod name would now be listed to the left side of the itunes, below devices".

Click on the ipod name and now, to the middle of the screen, you will find tabs such as summary, info, music, photos, movies etc.

Click on the music tab there, and select "sync music"

Select "entire music library"

Now click on apply/sync at the bottom.

Let's see whether this syncs all the music to the ipod.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok will try again but i have tried that.....several time already.

oh ok.

Is there a "cloud" icon next to each of the song in your library?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not all but most

ok.

Let's turn off itunes match and see whether that would help.

Click on store menu at the top (where it shows file, edit, view, controls, store etc).

Click on store > turn off itunes match.

Check whether you are able to sync all songs now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tried and no luck....I ticked entire music library. If I tick the sync music box it would allow me to sync 339 songs only.

I believe those songs are in the cloud and does not exist in the computer.

So click on the cloud icon next to one or two songs so that they will be downloaded locally.

Now try to sync and see whether those songs sync to the ipod.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i will have to turn on match again to see the cloud?

yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

doing it......now the library is only showing the purchased songs which is probably the 339 that it will allow me to download..

strange...!

Anyway, try to download 2-3 songs from the cloud by clicking on the "cloud" icon.

Once done, try to sync your ipod and see whether it syncs more than 339.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes that appears to work....how can i download them all? i guess it will take a while....and when downloaded the cloud symbol disappears, so will the library still be in the cloud? this laptop wont last forever and i want the library in the cloud!

yes, the cloud symbol means that the music is not available on the computer and it is only in the cloud.

Once you download it to your computer, the cloud icon disappears. But the content will still be available in your cloud.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do i have to click on each one.....or can i select them all somehow?

I am not sure of that.

Just try this.

To the left side of the itunes, "itunes match" would be listed below "store".

When you click on it, is there any option for "download all"?

If not, click on "itunes store". To the right side of the store, you will find a link called "itunes match". Click on it and see whether you can download all.

If not, unfortunately, I am not able to think of another option. I am trying a google search right now. Will let you know if I find any solution.

If I am unable to, try contacting Apple care and see whether they can give you a solution for downloading all at once.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok can click on them all one by one....tedious but never mind how can i change the ipods name please?

Try this for downloading all at once. Select 5-6 songs (having a cloud icon next to it). Now, right click on the highlighted area. Do you have an option called "Download"? If you have, try that and see whether it downloads those 5 songs at once.

For changing the name of the ipod:

Your ipod name would be listed to the left side of the itunes, below "devices".

Click on the ipod name so that it is highlighted.

Now click on the ipod name once again. Your name can be edited now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its appears different in itunes 11.....can't edit it not a big deal but it's ex gf's name so would be nice to change the name!

Let me check with my device.

Please give me a couple of minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok done it.....you do it on the main ipod page by hovering over the name.

oh ok.. Thank you for the update...:)

I just installed itunes 11 today and I am syncing my iphone for the first time. So don't have a complete idea of the new itunes interface.

I just tried with my device, and I am able to change the name by clicking on the device name listed on the left side. Also able to from the summary page.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok I am downloading the whole library now...will take time but glad I pay the subs for match. I am now happy to pay you RM134...so how do I do that please? I do not want a subscription or any ongoing financial committment please confirm this is the case.....thanks!

Thank you.

Sorry for the delay. I am walking through heavy rain.

You can click on any of the smileys to rate my service.

I am not sure whether you have any subscription. If you have gone for any, you can turn the subscription off by going to

http://ww2.justanswer.com/node/283
Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience: worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok will do presumably getting a podcast onto the ipod will require some kind of download to itunes library as well?

Yes, if the podcast is showing a cloud icon next to it, it needs to be downloaded as well.