David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

RA - pr

Customer Question

I just downloaded the latest iTunes for windows tonight. The program insists on locking up everytime I try to put in a search. After the first letter it freezes and the only way to unfreeze it is to control alt delete. I have reinstalled several times and tried to repair and continue getting the same result. Can you help?
[email protected]
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

If you have a backup of your iTunes, the first thing you should try is recreating the iTunes Library database.

Please follow the steps here and let me know if it gives you any problems:
support.apple.com/kb/HT1451

Sincerely,
David.
Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

Did you need to make a backup first? I can help with the steps, or guide you through them.

Let me know,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not understand what backing up my library has to do with itunes freezing up when i try to search for a particular song. Can you clarify?

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

Well, if you wanted to try that troubleshooting step, or any troubleshooting, having a backup of the program data and media is always a good idea.

Do you have the iTunes library stored on an external hard drive? It seems like the lookup database needs to be recreated.

Thanks,
David.
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

I don't understand why you rated me poor service.

You hadn't tried the steps I advised.

Did I do something wrong?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, there is the deal, I down loaded the troubleshooting for windows 7 on unexpected freezes and quits. I went into safe mode and found a plugin for visual I can find no information on how to uninstall this plugin or how to disable it other than going into safe mode. at this point I've paid $38 for a link to info that should have been available at no charge and still have the problem. Please call me to help me through the problem. XXX-XXX-XXXX. Thank you.

Susan XXXXX

Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

I believe there is some confusion, but you have not been billed for this question.

You might have a deposit, and at any time you want you can request a refund of it, but you only pay for a question when you rate it as Good Service or better.

Therefore you haven't yet paid for this question, but I can still go through the expert help and you can still ask as many follow questions as you want.

The hope is that we fix it and you are 100% satisfied.

Let me know if you would like to continue troubleshooting, and remember we can do this at your leisure, and on your schedule.

Yours sincerely,
David.