Engineer John C., Computer Engineer & Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  I am Computer Science Engineer CompTIA A+ certified and have 10 years of experience fixing Macs

Have a friend using an apple computer and it has frozen on

Customer Question

Have a friend using an apple computer and it has frozen on her. She is using Mountain Lion operating system and has tried rebooting into Safe Mode but the computer is not even booting up now. It was working this afternoon but has apparently been slowing down which has caused her to force a reboot in the past but now it is frozen and not coming up at all. Any suggestions?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Engineer John C., I will be your expert today.

Is the computer still in warranty?

Also, is it a Macbook or an iMac?

Please click the "Reply to expert" button below to let me know.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not under warranty. It is an iMac - 24" 2010 model.

Ok, thank you. I need to log off now, can we continue tomorrow?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So apparently I've already been charged the $40. Didn't know this was how it worked - thought charge came after answer was received. Appreciated the help, but it looks like she is getting help through another route.

Hello. If she still need help, please try with the following:

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

If no luck, we need to reinstall the OS. If that doesn't work either, then there is a problem with the hard drive, in that case the hard drive will need to be replaced.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!