Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

Please help me understand the difference between iTunes MATCH,

Please help me understand the difference between iTunes MATCH, iCloud and Homesharing. I'm trying to sync everything in iTunes on my PC with both my iPhone and iPad and I can't get all songs to show up each device. Thanks Deb
Hi Deb,

The three things (home sharing, iTunes Match and iCloud) has nothing to do with syncing music to the iPhone/iPad/iPhone.

I believe there are some settings that need to be changed on your devices so that you can have all the songs on all your handheld devices.

Open iTunes in the computer and connect the iPad. Your iPad name would now be listed to the left side of the iTunes, below "devices".

Click on the iPad name and now to the middle of the screen, you will find tabs such as summary, info, apps, music etc.

Click on the music tab. There select "sync music" and then "entire library". Now click on apply/sync at the bottom.

Similarly do for the iPhone.

Lets see whether this add all songs into both those devices.

Let me know .

Thank you
Vinod
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok - worked for iPhone, but not iPad. Most (but not all) of the Albums and associated songs show on the song list, but are greyed out and won't play. I signed up for iTunes Match months ago, but never used it with recently purchased iPad and it is currently turned off. Would turning it on help? i have to admit i don't fully understand iMatch. Thanks

On your iPad, when you go to settings - music, is iTunes Match turned on there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it's turned off on iPad

Lets turn it on and check
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Most albums/songs are there - a few are missing for some reason. Does this mean though i have to be in wi-fi range in order to play them? They don't reside on the pad?

Yes, one requirement of iTunes Match is that you should be connected to wifi or cellular. So that could be one of the reasons the songs are grayed out.

Here comes the iTunes Match. iTunes Match search for music in your computer, and check whether they are available in the iTunes Store. If it is, those songs are transferred to the iCloud.

So do you see a cloud like icon next to each song?