Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

RA-ARC

Customer Question

I am unable to access my home page after trying to install Mountainlion.
The message reads:

"OS X could not be installed on your computer"

"OS X Mountain Lion couldn't be installed, because the disk Macintosh HD is damaged and can't be repaired. "

"Click Restart to restart your computer and try installing again."

I followed the above instructions to restart but had the same results e ach time.
Please help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

I have some bad news for you.
I hope that you have backed up all your data because there is a very good chance all data on your hard drive will be erased.

That said try restarting while holding down the Option key.
This will open the startup manager.
graphic
You should see a selection called Lion recovery disk.
Click that and the straight arrow on the right.
Then follow these instructions.

Once your Mac is booted from the installation disk (in your case the recovery disk) the next step is to open Disk Utility.
Click continue at the Language screen, the next screen will be the Welcome to OS X.
At the very top of the screen will be a menubar with 'Utilities', from that drop-down menu select 'Disk Utility'.
graphic
(it may look a little different but it will be there)
There will be a list of hard drives and optical drives on the left of the window, if your drive is in that list then click on it once to highlight.
graphic
Now click on the First Aid tab, at the bottom of the Disk Utility window you will see a button called Repair Disk.
Select that by clicking on it. It will either return that everything is okay or that some things were wrong and they were repaired or it found something wrong and it can do nothing about it.
If everything checks out okay or if it does the repairs you then want to repair the permissions.
There will be a button close to the list of drives that says Repair Permissions. Click that to selected and give it time.
There may be a long list of permissions that repairs or there may be only a few.
There will also be some that say SUID that will not be repaired if you have 10.5 or above.
Once you have completed this then you can quit Disk Utility and the installer.
Do Not Install Anything.
Simply restart your machine by selecting it from the menu bar.

If it can it will repair the drive, if not you will need this utility.

It can repair what Disk Utility cannot.

Try that and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pressed the option key the clicked restart on the screen but continue to get the same install failed message
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
You have to keep it pressed until the startup manager appears.
Try it this way.
Shut the computer off, if this means pressing the power button until it shuts off then do that.
Then press and hold the Option key and power up. Keep it down until the Startup Manager appears. Then follow the Disk Utility instructions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I shut off the computer as you suggested then held down the option key. The only image that appeared was a picture of the OS X Installer without the arrow option to the right
The only arrow was directly under the disc picture pointing to it
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that is something.
What OS X was on it when you started? Snow Leopard 10.6.8?
If so do you have that disk?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am unsure. I have no disc with me. I may have it at work.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
We will need it to help diagnose this. It does sound like you started with 10.6.8 and tried installing Mountain Lion.
The installation disk for 10.6 has the tools to help fix this.
Contact me tomorrow and let me know if you have the disks.
Is that ok with you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need the computer working by tomorrow morning ASAP before my first client. I will try
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I suggest not banking on that. It may happen but maybe not.

If you get the disk then follow these instructions to proceed.
To boot from the installation disc and the Mac is on then start at step #1.

If your Mac is off or will not boot from the hard drive then goto step #3.

1. Insert disc #1, it can be the original that came with your Mac or it can be a retail version newer than the original that came with the Mac.

2. If the disc opens then click on the Install OS X icon, if it does not automatically open then double click the disk icon on the desk top and then click Install OS X.
Your Mac will restart using the install disk.

3. If your Mac is on but will not boot up then insert the installation disk and turn it off by pressing and holding the power until it shuts down.
Now press the power to start it and hold the 'Option' key until the startup manager appears.
If your Mac is off then press the power to start it up, immediately press and hold the 'Option' key for the startup manager.
Insert the disc and click the circle with the arrow to refresh and then select the installation disc to boot from.

Once your Mac is booted from the installation disk the next step is to open Disk Utility.
Do Not Install Anything.

If that succeeds then you may have a working Mac, if it does not then do an Archive and install, this will preserve your data but will also revert to the previous OS X.
This PDF explains about different installs, OS X 10.6 does the Archive and install as default but it helps if you know what is going on.
That should get you up and running, it will take at least 2 hours maybe longer.

I will be on in the AM but not until 9 AM.
Let me know.