Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have accidentally trashed microscope Office:Mac 2011 or at

Customer Question

I have accidentally trashed microscope Office:Mac 2011 or at least entourage and word. How can I get it back. I have redownloaded Office:mac, but it didn't help. Can I give you access to my computer so you can see where things are?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Done

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mac OSX 10.7.5

Processor 2.8 GHz Core i7

Memory 8 GB 1333 Mhz

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok

Restart and hold Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Repair complete, but didn't seem to need it

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions? If so:

Ok now reinstall Office:

https://www.microsoft.com/mac/trial
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Don't open any Office apps yet go to Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0/ double click on Microsoft AutoUpdate.app and install any updates
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Done. It says: You can't opent the application Microsoft AutoUpdate because it may be damaged or incomplete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

done

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did it update? Keep doing it until it says there are no more updates
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i will

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
When that is done try opening Word
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The word icon is not in the dock. In its place is a sideward A which does not open either from the dock or the finder. Before I asked contacted you, word mostly worked, but was having troubles with the Review bar. I have nothing now, but a dancing "A"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I give you access to my computer so you can do what needs doing?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No sorry I can't do that. Open Macintosh HD then Applications then Microsoft Office 2011 folder double click on the Word icon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

W icon is not in dock. In its place is a sidewards A--looking like an applications file. I tried the above, it didn't change anything. Still no W in the dock.

The problem was that I accidently trashed some important info, I guess, because that's when it all started.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What now?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
The Dock is not important you can always change that, those are only shortcuts to the actual apps. So you can't open Word by double clicking on the Microsoft Word icon in the folder Microsoft Office 2011 in Applications?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I attempted clicking on the Word icon. Nothing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did as you suggested. Nothing comes up from clicking on the application in the finder. Now what?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did the Auto update run until there where no more updates? What happened when you clicked on the Word icon?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nothing. The icon on the dock--which is only a capital A bounced for a while. Nothing new happened.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Shall we start over with a restart etc?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did the Auto update run until there where no more updates or what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Go here and download Maintenance for your system version, install it, run it and follow directions then check all boxes and Execute. Restart.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/download.php
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

To review. I must have trashed some important office plugins or something. Can I retrieve them from the trash and drag them somewhere?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
If you reinstalled then they should have been put back. please run the Maintenence program
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm running maintenance. The finder is in the dock, but does not open anymore; however, the maintenance "fixing disk" seems to have booted

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Fixing Dish Permissions is running running running . . . Is anything happening? I couldn't check the box "Display of Folders" because it was not highlighted. Do I just wait now that maintanance is running? Does this take a while?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What do you think happened to my finder? The finder icon is in the dock, but I can't open it from there or from the system either??

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
"The finder is in the dock, but does not open anymore" makes no sense to me at all, the Finder is open all of the time it is your Desktop. I think you should go over this:

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

maintenance programme is completed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have restarted etc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

now what?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Go to Applications / Utilities and open Terminal, copy and paste this and hit return then try opening Word:

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Word.plist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Went to Applications; then to utiilties, then opened terminal. Terminal is this square box. There is no place to paste in the info, nor is there a place to hit return. Am I in the wrong place? If so, explain.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you with me?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Return is a key on your keyboard, there would not be a "place " in Terminal to do that, and there is ONLY one place to paste at the command prompt right after the $ sign:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I actually did paste behind $ sign, and I entered it. Nothing. Tried it several times:

Here's what it says:

Last login: Sun Dec 2 21:09:42 on ttys000
Galbraith-MacBook:~ evelyngalbraith$ rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Word.plist
rm: /Users/evelyngalbraith/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Word.plist: No such file or directory
Galbraith-MacBook:~ evelyngalbraith$

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just wondering if you are still with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I suggest you reinstall your system:

Restart and hold Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk. Then if all ok quit Disk Utility and Reinstall Mac OS X from the menu
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So far, I've followed your directions to a T. Isn't working. Can I access you tomorrow? How?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes sorry I had to sign off. You reinstalled the system?