David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified

My Mac Book Pro will not restart or shut down. It seems stuck

My Mac Book Pro will not restart or shut down. It seems stuck in Finder and will not shut release a CD on the device secti
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Is the computer powered off at the moment or stuck on a grey screen with spinning disc?

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Computer is powered up but disc is spinning in Finder

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Press Cmd + Alt + Esc on the keyboard, and Force Quit should open after a minute.

What is listed in the Force Quit window.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tried twice and a force quit window did not open

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Hold the power button to power off the Mac.

Power on and hold Alt, what do you see on the screen?

Thank you,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see a new scrreen that offers a choice between Macintosh HD or Recovery HD

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Click Recovery HD, and then the arrow.

Then choose Disk Utility.

Select macintosh HD, and click Repair Disk.

Let me know what it says at the end of the repair.

Thank you,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I clicked Recovery HD, then the arrow, then the screen went to Apple, asking which language I want to use. Shall I click on the arrow under English?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Yes please, then Disk Utility,

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So far so good. It says it will take 3 minutes to repair.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

That's good, keep me posted.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The repair stopped. Not sure what I should be looking for now.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Does it say Macintosh HD is OK in green at the end, or something in red?

What does it say?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Everything is in black except one green entry that states that "The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK". No red .

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

That's goo. Now quit the Disk Utility using the menu in the top left.

Then choose startup disk in the Installer menu, and restart to Macintosh HD.

When back to your Desktop, open the Applications folder in Finder, and open Utilities.

Launch Disk Utility, and this time click Repair Permissions.

Let me know what it says at the end.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I clicked on theApple, I chose the Startup disk. It offered a choice to choose the startup disk but when I cliked on the Mac HD, a popup stated that "you can't change the startup disk to the selected disk."

Did I do something wrong?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

No, choose Restart. Hold Alt until you see Macintosh HD, select it and continue.

Then do the Disk Utility steps, Repair Permissions this time.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm back in Disk Utility. But I need to selct a disk, volume or image. Do I select the MacHD or the CD that has been stuck?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Are you back to your normal Desktop or did you choose Disk Utility from the Recovery screen?

If booted up to normal Desktop and using Disk Utility then choose Macintosh HD to Repair Permissions.

If booted up to Disk Utility on Recovery HD shut down, power on holding Alt and select Macintosh HD and the arrow, then run Disk Utility.

Let me know how Repair Permissions goes.

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I booted up from desktop (and ejected my CD. . .yay!!!!)

The detail after "repairing permissions" says "Permissions differ on System/Library/Pre...uld be drwxr-xr-x: the are lrwxr-xr-x."

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

That's great. You can run Repair Permissions one or two more times.

It should say it is OK, but sometimes one or two types warnings can be ignored.

What does it say after the second and third try?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

First repair said a lot. Second repair says it will take 35 minutes. the first one said it would take 40 minutes and it was less than five, so all looks well. All back to normal. thanks very much David. You were a great help.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

No problem, you're very welcome.

When repair permissions is finished you should also check Software Update in the Apple menu.

Then you should have no issues, but you can still come back to this question any time for follow up questions even after you rate my help.

Let me know if I can be of help in the future.

Best regards,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified