David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

I want to listen to my voice recordings accelerated. I

Customer Question

I want to listen to my voice recordings accelerated.

I like that Apple lets me listen to my podcasts and audiobooks at 0.5X, 1.5X, 2.0X, and even 3.0X time normal speed (without raising the pitch, which would make the speakers sound like The Chipmunks). Acceleration allows me to get through the material much faster, and in some cases, actually makes it more understandable, as you can think a lot faster than a person can talk.

I have many audio programs that I've downloaded from CDs into iTunes, but iTunes thinks these are music tracks and won't let me accelerate them. i do have a program called Amazing Slow Downer which allows me to change the speed and pitch of a track. It's mainly meant for musicians to use for practicing purposes. The trouble with ASD is that it only deals with one track at a time. Most of these audio programs came on CDs with several tracks and ASD won't let me make a playlist to play them in sequence. i need an app that I can tell "Play this 'album', accelerated at, say 1.5X, (variable would be nice), from beginning to end, without me having to manually start the next track on the 'album'.
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is David, and I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Luckily you can change the way iTunes recognizes your audio recordings, so you can use them as audio books.

Follow these steps to convert the track to a Book:
1. Go to the iTunes' General preferences and click the "Import Settings..." button.
2. Ensure "AAC Encoder" is selected, and then optionally set the encoding quality. The "Spoken Podcast" option should be enough for most audiobooks; however, you can use another preset or customize the settings manually if you wish.
3. Close the preferences and select your audiobook in the iTunes window.
4. Choose "Create AAC Version" from either the Advanced menu, or from the contextual menu by right-clicking the file.
5. Now delete both the new and old files from the iTunes library, and when prompted be sure to move them to the Trash (do not click "Keep Files").
6.With the files gone, go to the Trash and move the one that ends with ".m4a" to your desktop.
7. Rename the file so it ends with ".m4b" instead of ".m4a," and then drag it to the iTunes window to re-import it.

When it is back in iTunes, verify that it appears under Books on the left. when you sync it to your devices, you can use any of the features of Books with it.

Let me know if any of these steps gives you a problem.

Sincerely,
David.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll give that a try. Sounds complicated. I was hoping there was a simple app that would do the job for me.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

This is the free way to do it, but you can try this application that provides an interface for it:
http://www.nch.com.au/switch/

Let me know how you get on with those steps.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Part of the problem is I have hundreds of these files. I don't have the time to do them one at a time. Will the NCH program allow me to do them in batches, while keeping titles, etc intact?
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is one of the features of it.

This makes it worthwhile if you have lots of files, and you can keep or change titles in batch processing.

It depends on how often you need to do this step, that maybe purchasing this software will be the best solution.

I just wanted you to know also the way it to do it using just Mac OS X. Let me know if the software gives you any problems.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see .m4b as an output format option
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

It appears that functionality has been removed:
http://www.nch.com.au/switch/kb/1246.html

This is a recent update, I am sincerely sorry for this.

Please try this software:
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/33824/audiobook-binder

sincerely,
David.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

were you able to change the format the manual way, or with the Binder software.

I tried the Binder software and it works well.

Let me know if we can continue.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll work some more with the Binder software; some trouble the first time, when I imported the entire 6 cd set of one of programs I have. I'll need to do it one "disc" at a time it looks like. I didn't spend much time on it, but it looked like all the tracks were sorted in alphabetical order, not CD 1, track 1; CD1, track 2, etc., which is the way these need to be listened to.

Are you familiar with Amazing Slow Downer? It's written by a jazz guitarist in Scandanavia. His website is http://www.ronimusic.com/. As mentioned above, ASD does exactly what I want, but will only play one track at a time. There is no need for file conversion, and I'm able to import a file from iTunes to ASD right on my iPhone. I need something that will play a playlist from start to finish. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

iTunes is the best media manager for sort order and playlist, so it is far easier to get the media converted and then played in iTunes.

You can change the names as you are importing, but my need to change a few other things after.

Try with one track, and make sure it works in iTunes and on your device. The batches you do will save time managing playlists in the long run.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'll try that in the next couple of days.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Will,

That's great, I'll check with you in a few days.

Best regards,
David.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Will,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Were you able to convert one track and sync it?

Let me know when you are ready to continue.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I won't have time to do this until this weekend.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

No problem, let me know how it goes.

Best regards,
David.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Will,

Did you have any problems converting the track?

Let me know.

Sincerely,
David.