David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

Just bought a used Macbook Pro (Mountain Lion). It is set up

Just bought a used Macbook Pro (Mountain Lion). It is set up for wireless devices & shared capabilities thru Blue Tooth so my computer's keyboard, cursor & pad aren't operative. (am using a mouse in a port to navigate & open files -- but that's all I can do). I turned off Blue Tooth -- didn't help.

I don't have (nor want) to connect any wireless devices or share my files. How can I access the computer's built in keyboard & pad? I also want to create internet services thru ethernet? Thank you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Please click the Apple menu in the top left, and click About This Mac.

Click the More Info button, and click System Report...

On the left hand side select USB.

Expand all sections. Do you see 'Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad'?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I don't see Apple Internal Keyboard/trackpad

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Try resetting SMC. here are the steps for that.

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. Disconnect all other cables.
4. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
6. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Now when you login, check System Information - USB for Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Let me know if it has reappeared. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did it -- still no keyboard/trackpad (have to use the mouse in a port to

navigate.) Now what, please.

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Shutdown. Then when you press the power button, quickly press and hold Alt, using the USB keyboard.

Hold it until the Startup Manager.

Click on Recovery, and click the arrow.

Test the internal keyboard and trackpad now please.

Let me know the result of this test.

Thank you,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Deep sigh! Where do I find "Recovery?"

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

When you hold the Alt button at startup you should see two icons, one Macintosh HD and one Recovery HD.

Hold Alt on the USB keyboard directly after pressing the power button, and hold it until the spinning gear.

If it fails with the USB keyboard, shut down and try Alt on the internal keyboard.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nope. Don't understand your asking me to hold Alt on USB keyboard -- all I have available is the internal keyboard.

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Do you have a UB keyboard to try this step with?

It could be a hardware issue, but if not booting to Recovery HD will fix it.

Thank you for your patience, I hope this is not a hardware issue.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the only keyboard is the one on the MacPro -- no RecoveryHD shows up

-- start up goes right to the desk top. Are you giving up on me?

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

No, not at all. I am just setting the expectation that this might be a hardware issue.

In that case I will stick with you and explain any of the procedures you need to know about service and support from Apple, or your consumer rights.

If it doesn't boot to Startup Manager using the Alt key with the Mac Pro keyboard plugged in by USB, then there is no more we can try, and I will need some information like when it was purchased and where you would like to take it.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Purchased off E Bay with "no returns accepted" from seller.

Take it?? Hmm. Have to find a Mac Service Place in area.

I am totally frustrated & disappointed!

Vera

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi Vera,

I know you must be very disappointed at the moment, I agree that this is not a nice thing to happen at all.

Your contract of sale is with the Ebay seller, but the Mac is also covered by Apple's warranty.

You can either take it to an Authorised Service Provider, or an Apple Retail Store. You will find your closest using this Apple link: https://locate.apple.com

The keyboard is a minor part to be a problem, and is a minor repair at the repair centre. When the repair is done you should have no worries regarding the MacBook Pro hardware at all.

Let me know if I can answer any more of your questions, or help in any way.

Yours sincerely,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified