Jesse
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience
27955634

Hi, I have spent hours and hours on creating keynote presentation

Hi, I have spent hours and hours on creating keynote presentation but after I saved and closed it, it can't be opened anymore.. "Unable to open "xyz" because its an invalid keynote file". I have already tried the zip method but it didnt work. Any recommendations? I need to give a lecture tomorrow and have no time to prepare the presentation again.. :( Thank you!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jesse replied 1 year ago.

Jesse :

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help.

Jesse :

Can you tell me, or send me a link to the steps you followed when doing the "zip" method?

Customer:

Sure: http://www.sawayaconsulting.com/our-blog/troubleshooting-unable-to-open-keynote-document/

Customer:

Actually when I opened the zipped folder no file called index smth was there.. only pictures, pdfs, movies I used in my prez.

Jesse :

Do you keep a Time Machine backup of your files?

Customer:

I'm not sure, how do I find out?

Jesse :

Do you have an external hard drive, that's connected to the Mac?

Customer:

no

Customer:

well I guess I don't use timemachine (tried to launch but wanted to set up preferences..) :(

Jesse :

Okay, then you probably aren't running it, yea.

Jesse :

That's okay, just checking.

Jesse :

Did you duplicated the file before changing it's extension to .zip?

Customer:

Yes, I made a copy

Jesse :

Okay, make another copy, and change the extension to .key.pkg, then try the View Contents option and see if the index file is there.

Customer:

No, it's the same like with zip

Customer:

And in QuickLook folder is only the first slide.. but there are thumbnails of every slide I have made.. unfortunatelly too small to be read..

Jesse :

Okay, lets try the following:

Jesse :

1. Quit Keynote

2. Open Fontbook from the Applications folder.

A. Select all the fonts, and from the File menu select Validate fonts

B. Once that runs, remove duplicates.

3. Open Finder and from the Go menu at the top, select Go To Folder. to ~/Library/Preferences and delete the com.apple.iWork.Keynote.plist

4. Go to ~/Library/Caches and delete everything that begins with com.apple.

5. Restart

6. Launch Keynote

Jesse :

Sorry, in step 3 and 4, copy and paste those location links into the window that opens up when you select the Go to Menu option.

Customer:

Where do I find Fontbook?

Jesse :

Open a Finder, then choose your Applications folder, and it will be in there.

Customer:

it isnt

Customer:

sorry, I've got it :)

Customer:

One more problem - finder cannot find ~/Library/Preferences and delete the com.apple.iWork.Keynote.plist

Jesse :

Did you just paste the ~/Library/Preferences line?

Customer:

Once again yes :). Ok by deleting everything that beginns with com.apple you mean deleting all folders beginning that?

Customer:

or only the com.apple.iWork.Keynote ?

Jesse :

Only delete the com.apple.iWork.keynote file

Jesse :

Then the same thing in the Cache folder.

Customer:

OK.

Customer:

So I'm going to restart my computer

Jesse :

Okay.

Customer:

Okay, Im back. I restarted the computer and launched keynote

Customer:

Should I try to open the file?

Jesse :

Yes.

Customer:

the original one or the pkg one?

Customer:

didn't help :(

Jesse :

Hmm, okay. If you open Keynote, can you make a new presentation?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

and if i save it, it opens properly

Jesse :

Unfortunately, that means the file corruption is too far gone. The only other option I know of is to restore from a backup (which you don't have) or transfer it to another Mac and try it there.

Customer:

I have already tried to open in on different macs but it didn't help either :( Ok. thank you very much!

Jesse :

No problem, sorry for the trouble, wish it could be restored. I would highly recommend you get an external hard drive and start running Time Machine backups so that you'll have hourly copies to go back to.

Customer:

Yes, definitely :)

Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience