Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 9 years of exp.

my Mac desktop keeps giving me a message "your startup disk

my Mac desktop keeps giving me a message "your startup disk is full"

Dont know where to look to clear up the problem
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am excited to get started with you.

The items that take up the most space on your Hard drive, are usually photos, movies and pictures. Before we check your storage amounts, what operating system are you running? To find this out, click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose about this mac. Read me the version number

Customer: version 10.7.5
Appleologist :

In about this mac, click on more info

Appleologist :

At the top you will see "Storage"

Appleologist :

Click on storage to see which files contain the most about of data

Customer: It shows 467.42 free out of 499.25
Appleologist :

Thats more than enough space. The progress bar is also not full correct?

Customer: correct
Appleologist :

Is the trash empty?

Customer: Where should I look?
Appleologist :

In the trash can in the bottom right corner, click on it to see if there are items inside

Customer: yes
Appleologist :

Lets repair your computers permission settings. Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in disk utility. Choose Macintosh HD and select repair permissions

Customer: dont see mac hd
Appleologist :

It is in the left hand side

Customer: all i
Customer: I have are - messages & chats or web searches
Appleologist :

You may not be in the right application. Search for disk utility

Customer: done
Appleologist :

Ok do you see macintosh HD in the left column now?

Customer: no
Appleologist :

At the top menu within disk utility, do you see Verify, info, burn, unmount

Appleologist :

If you can't see it, try opening disk utility from the applications folder. Open your finder window by clicking on the face icon in the dock, Choose applications<Utilities< disk utility

Customer: size 29MB
Customer: created june 18 2011
Appleologist :

Where do you see that

Appleologist :

Is disk utility open or not?

Customer: modified?????? Oct 18 2012
Customer: yes - I have given you info from the screen
Appleologist :

Did you already hit repair permissions?

Customer: where
Appleologist :

at the bottom

Customer: dont see it
Appleologist :

Click on the application window that you opened and then look at the top menu bar. What name does it say next to the apple logo?

Appleologist :

Full Size Image

Appleologist :

This is what should be open

Customer: nothing like this
Appleologist :

Close that window and open finder

Appleologist :

Is finder window open???

Customer: yes
Appleologist :

In the left column, click on the applications folder

Customer: done - that is where I was
Appleologist :

open the utilities folder

Appleologist :

Disk utility's icon has a stethoscope on the hard drive as its icon

Customer: opened
Appleologist :

Ok, do you now see macintosh HD in the left column?

Customer: all I have are the 2 columns I used to get here and theinfo I sent to you before - no options to proceed
Appleologist :

Click on first aid. You should see a mini menu bar

Customer: no mini menu & no first aid anywhere
Appleologist :

Can you take a screen shot of your application and attach it. Press Command+Shift+ 3

Customer: I am on my iPad with you & the screen is on my iMac
Appleologist :

Oh ok. Does the top menu bar at least say disk utility?

Full Size Image

Customer: it says Utilities
Customer: The picture says Name: Disk Utility
Appleologist :

Can you double click on the picture that says disk utility

Customer: Got Macintosh HD
Appleologist :

Ok now select Macintosh HD and choose repair permissions

Customer: working
Appleologist :

Ok, while that is working, can you look below the progress bar and confim the available storage size

Customer: 467.42
Appleologist :

Ok good

Customer: # XXXXX files 517,735
Customer: Message ... Repairing permissions. Estimated time : 2 hours
Customer: now 59 minutes
Appleologist :

You defiantly have a lot of permission issues, but it will not take 2 hours :)

Customer: now 2 minutes - dont lose hope
Customer: stopped - hit verify disk?
Customer: ?
Appleologist :

No thats it. Now you will need to restart your computer while resetting the PRAM

Customer: PRAM???
Appleologist :

Ha ha dont worry, I will walk you through

Appleologist :

Before you we do that, do you ge the warning when your computer starts up>

Appleologist :

?

Customer: Just came back up & got 2 emails from you - I thought I was gettingg a FREE one week - why was $58 charged
Appleologist :

Where did you see that you will receive a free one week?

Customer: on the startup page & I clicked on the option after giving my CC
Appleologist :

I apologize for the confusion. Just Answer offers a one year membership or you can pay per question. It sounds like you opted to try the one year membership for one week. You can opt out however your charge will be $58. Do you still want to proceed?

Customer: have we completed this session? - I thought it was free under the 1 week membership
Appleologist :

No we have not corrected the issue yet. I will certainly have our customer service/ refund department issue you a refund and cancel your trial. Sorry for the confusion and inconvenience. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Customer: I want to complete the correction - can this be done under the $58 charge with no furthur charges?
Appleologist :

Yes it is a one time charge. You will need to cancel the membership trial that you accidentally enrolled so you are not charged monthly. You can do that from the email that was sent to you

Customer: OK lets continue
Appleologist :

Ok, in disk utility, can you go ahead and select repair disk. Your computer will be sluggish during this time which is normal

Customer: I had to choose repairing permission as last time
Appleologist :

No you will choose Repair disk on the opposite side

Customer: I have a message "If repair disk is unavailable, click verify disk. If the disk needs repairs, you'll be able to repair it fron Recovery HD ??? no other options
Appleologist :

Click verify disk. We need to confirm that your HD is ok incase your operating system needs to be re-installed

Customer: in process
Appleologist :

Ok. Let me know when it says Macintosh HD is ok

Customer: "Appears to be OK"
Appleologist :

Ok now reset your PRAM. This will require you to restart your computer.

1.Shut down the computer.

2.Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3.Turn on the computer.

4.Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears. Let computer chime 4 times

5.Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound four time.s

6.Release the keys.

Customer: Done - anything else?
Appleologist :

Before we can determine if your operating system needs to be re-installed, we need to check for updates and wait some time to see if it pops back up again

Appleologist :

Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose software updates

Customer: software is up to date
Appleologist :

Ok good. How long does it normally take for the warning message to pop up?

Customer: as soon as I have safari & outlook open - nothing so far
Appleologist :

Ok, lets give it another 5-10 mins. You can continue to surf and do your normal task. I will stand by

Appleologist :

How is it going so far?

Customer: seems AOK - I am on the internet booking a flight & have Outlook open - no problem - is that all you think has to be done?
Appleologist :

Yes, repairing your systems permissions re-assigned permissions to the things that you have done in the past without a problem. It repairs inconsistant files and data.

Appleologist :

Reseting your computers PRAM resets the functional issues on your computer

Customer: Thanks so much for your help
Appleologist :

You are sooooo welcome and again sorry for the mis communication about the membership subscription

Appleologist :

You can now go ahead and rate my answer and end the Chat. You can also get back to me anytime you want even after rating at http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-michelleblack/.

To Cancel your subscription, go to http://ww2.justanswer.com/node/283 and follow the on screen instructions. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 9 years of exp.