Jesse
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience
27955634

Im not very tech savy...I had an iphone 3G. took lots of pics.

I'm not very tech savy...I had an iphone 3G. took lots of pics. Synced on itunes quiet a bit. Wife bought me a iphone5. Synced on itunes, but no pictures show up on my new phone or on my itunes site. Are my pics lost.? How do I get them if possible? Need help. Very frustrated.

Jesse :

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help.

Jesse :

Did you sync your iPhone with a Mac or a PC?

Jesse :

Also, do you still have the iPhone 3G

Jesse :

?

Customer:

Synced with a PC and I still have the 3G. Before I got the 5, I had synced my 3G. The update removed some of my apps, music and all of my pics. I am truly lost. I figured the music was because much of it was not from itunes, but my pics I was not prepared for. Grand baby pics and other family. When I go to the itunes site now, there are no pics. Or I just cannot figure where to go.

Customer:

There are no pics on the 5 either

Jesse :

The iPhone doesn't sync photos automatically, except by storing them in the general backup file. However, they are not accessible in that backup file. The idea with the iPhone, is that your PC treats it like a digital camera. So when you connect it, you can browse to it like you would any external flash drive or digital camera, and drag pictures off of it. This is outside of iTunes.

Jesse :

Then, if you want, you can move those pictures back to the new iPhone, by having them sync with a folder on your PC that you keep pictures in.

Customer:

So basically my pictures are gone?

Jesse :

Have you tried restoring the 3G to a previous backup?

Customer:

No. How would I do this?

Jesse :

Connect the 3G to the PC, and open iTunes, if it doesn't open automatically. Then, right click on the iPhone, from the list of devices on the left side, and choose Restore from Backup.

Customer:

I am doing that now. In process.

Customer:

I gues I am not as smart as my phone.

Jesse :

Okay.

Jesse :

That's why they call them smart phones, cause they're smarter than everyone else. ;_

Jesse :

;)

Customer:

whether I get my pics are not...you are worth the $. My wife laughed when I read your comment. She feels bad, she was the one who upgraded me from my 3G.

Customer:

Still syncing. Says 6 minutes. Is that OK?

Jesse :

That's normal, usually takes about 10 minutes. It's not her fault, unfortunately Apple doesn't it make too clear how to do a proper backup of your pictures.

Customer:

This company seems very finicky and protective about their technology. Not any flexibility in using it.

Jesse :

Nope, not at all.

Customer:

Ok. says it it finished. Restarting phone.

Jesse :

Great.

Customer:

Thank you!!!!!!! It's restoring my pictures:) You have NO idea how special the grand kids pics are to us.

Jesse :

I'm glad we were able to get them back for you.

Customer:

How do I save them? You are worth every penny.

Jesse :

Open Windows Explorer, and navigate to the top level, where your hard drive, external hard drives, cameras, etc, are accessible. You should see the iPhone listed there, and can drag the pictures from it to anywhere on your hard drive.

Customer:

Ok. I'll let you go. Any way to re-contact you for further assistance? I opened using Google. I close down then open Explorer?

Jesse :

You can bookmark our conversation, or follow the link in your email from JustAnswer. However, you can keep this window open while you open Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer, just to be clear).

Customer:

I open "my computer". When I open it shows the removable drives. All drives indicate they are not active. My phone is connected. Looking in wrong place?

Jesse :

Which version of Windows are you using?

Jesse :

The instructions on this page should cover any version you might have.

Customer:

I have Windows 7.

Customer:

I will book mark you and let you go thank you again.

Customer:

My name isXXXXX

Jesse :

No problem, glad I could help, and positive feedback is always appreciated!