David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified

I need help setting up a multiclip with Final Cut Pro 7

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is David, and I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Have you set 'In Points' on each of the clips that are in sync? Do you have a clapper board or other timing device in the video, such as a beat in, or a clap?

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I have several way to sync clips (including using Plural eyes. ) I have mutlitclip sequences loaded in my timeline. I have set sync to 'open' and can see the multiclips in the viewer window. Once I start playing in the timeline, though, the viewer window plays a full fram version of the clip in the canvas.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

That is the expected behavior, and it is working as it should be working.

If you want your final video to be like what you see in the multi-cam canvas, then you don't use multi-cam editing. You need to stack all the clips up in the timeline, and individually change the attributes of each so that they are laid out in a grid.

Please let me know if I have missed something and feel free to ask any questions you have.

Then you can try this, and with any problems come back to me.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think you misunderstand my question, or else I misunderstand your ansmwer, I want to be able to watch all clips (in this case 4 tracks) palying back live while I'm editing the clips, either by clicking on them, or by hitting the mutliclip edit buttons above the timeline in my canvas window.

Is that clear?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

The only way to see them all play at once is in the multi-cam viewer, to the left of the canvas.

The canvas will show what is on the timeline, the multi-clip viewer will show all cameras.

Then you can either use the button bar, or select the clips in the viewer with sync open.

Let me know if I am still missing something.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that's exaclty what I'm referring to. The viewer window is not playing back clips as I play from the canvas. Nor are there cuts being added in the timeline. (meaning there are no visual cuts in the timeline, or when I play back the multiclip the cuts are not shown, the clip in the timeline window only shows one angle). When I stop the clip in the timeline, the clips in the viewer window jump to that time, but as I play, they do not play.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the multi-cam clip selected in the Browser?

How many cameras was it shot with, and do you see that many clips in the viewer, in a grid?

Try deleting the multi-cam clip, then set in points manually again in each clip, then select them all and click Modify -> Create Multi-Cam Clip.

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was shot with 11 cameras. But I've tried with 4 cameras, and I still have the same problem. I recreated a multicam clip many times, and keep having the same issue. It's just not playing back in the viewer window.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked Software Update in the Apple menu?

Have you tried creating a new project?

If it is a preference issue, you can check it in a new user account.

Let me know.

Kind regards,
David.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Were you able to check a new user account?

Let me know if we can continue.

Sincerely,
David.