Engineer John C., Computer Engineer & Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  I am Computer Science Engineer CompTIA A+ and Cisco certified and have 10 years of experience fixing Macs
23822421

Problems between MacPro and HP Color LaserJet 2600n

I own a HP Color LaserJet 2600n which is plugged directly into my Mac Pro running Mac OS 10.6.8. It has worked fine for me for many years.

Last week I tried printing and the results were terrible - most all of the places where there would usually be colors printed mostly black instead (see attached).

I ran a self test on the printer and the colors came out perfect, so I've come to the conclusion that the problem is in the communications between my Mac and the printer.

The HP driver I'm using is 1.4.0 and the firmware is 20050610.

I went HP's site for downloading drivers and firmware (here) and saw that there is a firmware upgrade - 20120928. I downloaded this and have tried several times to get it to open, but I keep getting a dialog box that states "HP Firmware Upgrade Utility quit unexpectedly"

I assume that the upgrade utility is either fighting with another program or with the operating system itself. And, even if I get it installed correctly, I'm not sure that it will solve my printing problem.

Can you help me? Thank you! 

Bob

Category: Mac
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your Mac/Printer, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Lindie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Lindie,

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm happy to wait.

Best regards,

Bob

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Lindie
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Engineer John C., I will be your expert today.

I see that your question has been sitting here for a while.

Do you still need help with this issue?

Please click the "Reply to expert" button below to let me know.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, please - I still need help.

Bob

Are you using genuine HP cartridges? Or generic/refilled ones?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Generic (although I've been using generic/refilled ones in this since I bought it).

Bob

Do you mean "genuine" now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Also - when I ran a self-printing test on the HP printer (using the printer's control panel), the test came back flawless.

Bob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No - sorry, I wasn't clear. All the cartridges in the printer are refilled ones. I've been replacing the cartridges with refilled ones since I bought the printer and replaced the original ones.

Bob

OK, and the test was perfect? No problems at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here's a .pdf of a scanned test print I just performed (please let me know if you can't open it).

Bob

Attachment: 2012-12-03_015517_12_2_2012_scan.pdf

OK, thank you!

I found that HP only has drivers for Mac OS 10.2 to 10.5 for this printer (info here -----> http://goo.gl/zL3Te). It seems it is not compatible with 10.6. Have you used it before with the same OS version and it worked fine?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes - I upgraded from 10.5 to 10.6 at least 18 months ago without any subsequent change in the HP printer quality.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HP did have an upgrade for this printer for Mac OS 10.6 (click here).

I've downloaded it but when I go to install it, I receive this message (see below).

Bob

That's a firmware, not a driver.

Can we continue tomorrow morning? Please let me know and thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX will be great - I appreciate your help.

I'm not clear on the function of firmware - wouldn't it help the computer talk to the printer?

Anyway, thanks again.

Bob

Hello, please give me 30 minutes and I will get back with you.

Thanks for your patience!

Please follow the steps below:

1- Unplug the printer from the computer, and turn the printer off.

2- Go to apple icon on the upper left corner of your screen

3- Click System Preferences

4- Click Print & Fax

5- Right click your printer on the left and select "Reset printer system"
Note: If right click does not work, press and hold the control key on your keyboard and then click the mouse button.

6- If your printer is still listed on the left select your printer and then click the minus (-) button to delete it

7- Restart your Mac, BUT PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (add to favorites) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART.

8- Plug the printer to your Mac using a different USB port.

9- Turn on the printer

10- Wait 10 minutes, your Mac should install it automatically. (Do not install any software or firmware)

11- Try to print. Does it work?

If it works, please come back here and leave me a positive feedback (I will show you the rating buttons). I get credited by justanswer.com only when you leave me a good rating.

If you don't come back and don't rate me positively (Good or Excellent rating is greatly appreciated), then I won't be paid by justanswer.com at all. I don't get any salary here, I am paid only by positively rated questions.

If it doesn't work, please come back as well and click "Reply to Expert" so we can continue troubleshooting. Please do NOT rate me negatively, just click "Reply to Expert" if you are NOT satisfied.

Thank you

John C.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

John,

Thank you for the suggestion but it did not work. I've even tried several different USB ports with no success.

I checked with Apple and see that HP updated their drivers recently (click here). I reinstalled the drivers and see from Apple's site (here) that I am running the correct one (1.4.0) for my printer. I then replicated the process you suggested above however I am still having the same problems.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Bob

Yes, I was going to give you the same procedure next.

Do you have another computer to try the printer with? So we can isolate the issue?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

John - great idea!

I have a MacBook Pro laptop and hooked it up to the HP Color Laserjet 2600n printer ang got the same results!!

The laptop is also running Mac OS 10.6.8 and used the 1.4.0 driver for the printer (the same OS and driver as the MacPro is using).

I was also able to get HP's firmware update to load through the laptop so the printer is now using the newer firmware.

Sounds like a driver problem?

Bob

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX is weird! it seems the driver doesn't work fine with Mac OS 10.6.

I will investigate further and will let you know as soon as possible.

I apologize for the long delay and I thank you for your patience.

John C.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

John,

I have an old Dell laptop running Windows XP. I hooked the 2600n up to it this morning and it printed beautifully.

So... seems to be a problem with the Macs?

Bob

Yes, Bob. We will need to wait for Apple to release a new driver for Mac OS X 10.6, unfortunately.

You can connect it to your Mac and run the "Software Update" menu once in a while to see if Apple or HP releases an updated driver.

Please note I do NOT work for Apple or HP so please do NOT leave me a negative feedback in case you are not satisfied with them.

Please remember to rate my service once you are satisfied with my job or effort. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!
Experience: I am Computer Science Engineer CompTIA A+ and Cisco certified and have 10 years of experience fixing Macs