Jesse
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience
27955634

Hi. I use an MacBook dating from 2007 which uses IOS 10.5.8,

Hi. I use an MacBook dating from 2007 which uses IOS 10.5.8, and cannot be further up-dated to, say, Mountain Lion. Every time I open it I get a message saying 'Adobe Flash Player was blocked because it is out of date'. I also offers me an option to 'Run This Time' but says this is not recommended. If I press the 'run' button the functionality seems fine: videos run, but I sometimes get the message again, and have to press the 'run' button again.

The messages come up every second or so on some online banking sites: I begin to fear I will lose the banking functionality.

Google Chrome also says it will not updayte because my version of IOS is out of date.

I have downloaded different versions of Flash Player, including ones which you say are designed for IOS 10.4-10.5, but I still get the messages.

Can you help?

Regards

Georget0104
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jesse replied 1 year ago.

Jesse :

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help.

Jesse :

Can you tell me your processor speed and memory? If you don't know, open the About this Mac option from the Apple menu in the upper left corner of the screen and it will tell you there.

Customer:

2.4 GHz processor; 2GB Memory, 667 ghz DDR2 SDRAM

Jesse :

At this point, you're going to keep seeing these kinds of errors because of how old your Operating System is. Your best bet is to upgrade to Mac OS 10.6, which will let you use almost all of the newer versions of both Flash and Chrome.

Customer:

Yes, but Apple Store tells me that my machine can't upgrade beyond 10.5.8, so they seem to be saying 'buy a new one'. Can I upgrade the MacBook speed or memory rather than buy a new one?

Jesse :

Does your Processor, under the About this Mac screen, say Intel or PowerPC?

Customer:

2.4ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Customer:

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00

SMC Version (system): 1.31f1

Serial Number (system): W8828KM20P1

Hardware UUID: 46F160A1-14A4-51BA-BE17-00EB2164AF03

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

Jesse :

That won't have any problem running 10.6, in fact it can run 10.7 as well. Whoever told you it couldn't may have been misinformed or trying to get you to purchase a new machine. My advice would be to upgrade to at least 10.6 or 10.7.

Customer:

That's kind, but I promise you, each time I try to upgrade I get the answer 'there is no software upgrade available for your machine' - I have tried via the apple store, and under the Apple symbol at the top of screen. I will do it again now via the 'software upgrade' route if you like. Am I trying the wrong route?

Jesse :

Yea, that only offers you existing system updates. Going to 10.6 or 10.7 is a full system upgrade and must be done from a disc. You'll have to purchase an install disc for either of those upgrades, it can't be done from the system Software Update.

Customer:

So I buy it from the Apple Store in person or by post and install it from a disk - i.e. no download option?

Jesse :

For your version of Mac OS, there is no download version, and it's not sold by any Apple Store anymore. However, it can be purchased from places like eBay or Amazon, like this one.

Jesse :

It's always a good idea to have a disc version of the OS you're using anyway.

Customer:

OK. Why did I get the impression that my machine couldn't handle Snow Leopard? It's funny that Apple don't offer it to loyal customers like me - iphone 4, ipad 2, lots more around the house....

Jesse :

Honestly, it could be a variety of things. Most likely you spoke to someone who was more interested in selling you a product. But I can tell you from personal experience I've installed 10.7 on machines with less power and memory than that.

Customer:

OK, but I'm uncertain about version numbers. My wife has snow leopard as a free upgrade on her new macbook pro, and that's version 10.8.2.

Customer:

Amazon advert says

Jesse :

Here's the version breakdown:

Customer:

Mac OS X Snow Leopard (Mac)

Price:£39.99 & Free Delivery with Amazon Prime

Jesse :

Snow Leopard is 10.6
Lion is 10.7
Mountain Lion is 10.8

Jesse :

She has Mountain Lion, if it's 10.8

Customer:

and then they offer 10.6 for rather more money. Is there any risk I'll go too big if I buy the headline product?

Jesse :

You won't be able to run 10.8, but you could get 10.7 if you wanted.

Customer:

OK understood. I'd better trust your experience. Can't find Lion 10.7 immediately on Amazon, but I guess if I look on ebay I might find it?

Jesse :

It's worth a look, though 10.6 should let you get up to date on all your software.

Customer:

OK many thanks!

Jesse :

No problem.

Jesse :

Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience