Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
70409726

Lost my sticky on the screen, click the corner and it vanished

Customer Question

Lost my sticky on the screen, click the corner and it vanished and I can't get it back. I am a no "techky"
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is Michelle and I am excited to get started with you.

Before we get started, I will need additional information to better understand your issue. Are you referring to the sticky application that looks like a sticky note pad?

Customer :

The stickies on apple dock, they come up one page at the time

Appleologist :

The yellow stickies correct?

Customer :

yes

Appleologist :

Ok. When you closed it, did it ask you to save?

Customer :

no

Appleologist :

Is the application currently open?

Customer :

it is on the dock i just have to click it and I get a new page I guess it is open ?

Appleologist :

Do you see sticky line? Try to move pages out of way so you can see it. If you do see a sticky bar, double click o it and it should expand

Customer :

There is no lines, the top has a header line that when clicking it expand or close back to just the header

Appleologist :

Clicking the left corner closes the sticky. If it was not saved. Lets check to see if you saved it by any chance. Click on the magnifying glass in the upper left corner and type in txt Since stickies saves it as a text file, it will show up if it was saved

Customer :

On the sticky ? when I click there it closes it Where is the magnifying glass?

Appleologist :

The magnifying glass is located in the upper right corner. Click on it and type in txt

Appleologist :

Can you place your mouse on the application in the dock. It will tell you the name of the application. There are 2 note applications on the mac. There is a Notes application and a Stickies application. Which one is ie

Customer :

so we'r clear when I click right corner the sticky expand to full screen, I type txt nothing happens - to your last Q the name is "Stickies"

Appleologist :

Yes, but if you click on the left corner, the stickie closes but it is suppose to ask you if you would like to save it

Customer :

does not

Appleologist :

Can you open a new sticky and click on the left corner?

Customer :

Sorry just did it again and now it is asking

Appleologist :

Ok and that did not come up when you accidentally closed the previous sticky correct?

Customer :

DiD 10 times before it never ask !!

Appleologist :

In stickies, click on Window and choose Bring All to front.

Customer :

nothing!

Appleologist :

It looks like it was closed without saving. To double check, if you click on the magnifying glass again and just type in a few words from the lost sticky note, if it was saved, it will come up. You can also search for the word untitled. Whenever you quit the application, it automatically saves. But if you click on the corner, it will close the sticky and ask if you would like to save

Customer :

I expanded typed words on the lost one, nothing went to window, bring up front, nothing. seem to me that some time it ask for a name when closing some time not. How do I search for the word "untitled"

Appleologist :

Open the finder window by clicking on the face icon in the dock. In the search field in the upper left corner, type in untitled

Customer :

I get two folders, I clicked it they are empty

Appleologist :

Lets check where it will save to by default. Open a blank sticky and click the left corner, when it asks you to save, save it and see where it saves to

Customer :

So I did, it goes into "all my files" scan through them right at the time of lost, nothing look for the one you made me save couldn't find it??

Appleologist :

Did you search by the name that you saved it by?

Customer :

Yes I found the text

Appleologist :

Can you search for untitled again in finder this time?

Customer :

I get two empty folder done at the same time and at the time I lost the sticky

Appleologist :

Yes Im sorry, it does appear that sticky was not saved.

Customer :

so there is no way of recovery??

Appleologist :

The only way to ever recovery a lost file is if you had a time machine backup that backed up your computer during the time the sticky was deleted. It also stores it inside the preference file which is really not legible or may not even contain any information at all

Customer :

So what I do next? and, is no result falls under "full satisfaction" ? does the payment go through anyway?

Appleologist :

The last option you have is to look inside the sticky database to see if it stores the backup files in there. What operating system are you running? To find it, click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose about this mac. Read me the version number

Customer :

10.7.5

Appleologist :

Ok, Open finder and choose Go at the top menu and choose Go to folder. Paste this path inside the search box. ~/Library

Customer :

Done

Appleologist :

Now within the library folder, you should see a file called "StickiesDatabase" If you right click it and choose open with "Text Edit" It will show you everything in the database. It will look like gibberish

Customer :

Done and it dose look like gibberish.

Appleologist :

If you scroll through, there are some words that are legible. Does anything look familiar?

Customer :

Yes

Appleologist :

Are any of them the sticky notes that was deleted?

Customer :

There was only one sticky none were deleted.

Appleologist :

Ok, so then if none were delete, it should be in the database. Is it there?

Customer :

Whould this be the name \f0\fs24 \cf0 txt\

Appleologist :

No, it wouldn't. The actual notes will be visible followed by non legible symbols like pard\tx560\tx1120\tx1680\t

Appleologist :

If you scroll down from beginning to end, you should see texts

Customer :

This is what is see:

Customer :

streamtypedÅËÑ@ÑÑÑNSMutableArrayÑÑNSArrayÑÑNSObjectÖÑiíÑÑÑDocumentïíÑÑÑ NSMutableDataÑÑNSDataïñÅnÑ[366c]rtfdTXT.rtf.+{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\cocoartf1138\cocoasubrtf510
{\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
\pard\tx560\tx1120\tx1680\tx2240\tx2800\tx3360\tx3920\tx4480\tx5040\tx5600\tx6160\tx6720\pardirnatural

\f0\fs24 \cf0 txt\
\
apple PW f orestry}#TXT.rtfô>∫P∂ÜñÑ{?={?=ff}{?=ff}}dÅ®Å,Å»ñíÑÑÑNSDateïÑdÉ˝±qj∂AÜíÑúùÉéÂâuj∂AÜÜÜ

Appleologist :

If that is all that you are getting, that means there are no saved stickies in the database. I'm sorry but it does appear that the sticky was not saved upon closing the application and can not be recovered. I will go ahead and submit a refund for your. Im sorry about the loss of your documents. Enjoy the rest of your day

Customer :

Thank you very much for your trouble. We will see you on the next problem? have a nice week end. Best see