David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified

I have two Macs collocated. The older one stopped booting

Customer Question

I have two Macs collocated. The older one stopped booting a few days ago. I purchased DW4, and have run it on old Mac. I can see the DW Preview and the files I want to rescue. DW will not allow me to choose REPLACE (I booted from the DW disk).

I tried connecting a thumb drive to the old Mac, but DW does not list it as an available drive. I do not have Finder running on the old Mac since I booted from the DW disk.

What can I do to access/copy the files I see in Preview?
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Do both Macs have FireWire? Are they both Intel? And do you have a FireWire cable to connect them?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, David.

Had to check...the old appears to be Firewire 400, the new one is FW800. The 'new' Mac is a 2009 24 inch, the old is 2006 (white case). Both are Intels.

Thanks,

Perry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, missed the last question. No, I don't have any Firewire cable now. Is there a version of cable that converts?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi

The cable to connect the two is like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Oyen-Digital-Firewire-1394B-Cable/dp/B0027DPM1U/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354378091&sr=1-2&keywords=9+Pin+Firewire+800+-+6+Pin

This will enable you to access the old drive using Target Disk Mode. You can run Disk Warrior from the working Mac, on the drive in the attached Mac in Target Disk Mode.

support.apple.com/kb/HT1661

Let me know if you get any problems.

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

David,

Thanks. I did install this same DW on the working Mac and will go purchase the cable as you suggest. Let me do that and I'll get back to you later today (and rating). I may have a few more questions once I get them both hooked up.

Perry

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Perry,

No problem at all. I'm going to be at my computer all night and will be ready to answer.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

David,

Ok, this is getting fun. I've got the cable installed, figured out how to put the old Mac in Target mode. Started up DW on the working Mac and now I see the old Mac's HD in the list of options. Graph doesn't work (so I'm guessing the old drive is barely limping along).

Rebuild didn't work. The error says the disk is still in use. It suggests to restart the old Mac with DW, but if I do that, how do I stay in Target mode?

Thanks, David.

Perry

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Perry

Now that the old Mac is attached in Target Disk Mode, open a Finder window and locate the external disk 'Macintosh HD which is the disk in the old Mac. can you see any folders on it with a Finder window?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I see all of the files I want to recover. These are a few various files, but mainly my iPhoto library. When I start iPhoto on the new Mac and select the library on the old Mac, iPhoto opens and tells me that volume is locked.

But I do see the files. What's my best next step?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

The next step is to see if the permissions allow you to copy the old iPhoto Library from the old Macintosh HD, to the Desktop on the new.

Let me know,
David.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its copying now, from the old Mac iPhoto folder/library to the new mac desktop. 38.6G is going to take a little while, but its going. Up to 1.8G now.

Once this is fully copied to the desktop of the new Mac, will it still give me the 'locked' error above?

I guess I can just selective copy over all of the files I need like this, that's pretty easy.

Thanks, David. I really appreciate the guidance.

Perry

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Perry,

You're welcome, plus I will continue to guide you if you have any questions along the way. This question won't close even if you rate my answer, and you can bookmark t for later if needed.

Yes, it will be interesting to see if it gives the locked error, but that is easily fixed.

Once you have selected the files needed to back up, then get back to me for the steps to recover the Mac to factory settings.

Sincerely,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, David.

Its still copying, up to 19G now. Plus I've moved over most of the other files.

Once this finishes I'll have the iPhoto folder moved over, and I hadn't created any new iPhoto library on the new Mac yet. I'd appreciate your advice on how to get the old photos to show up in the new Mac's iPhoto.

Same for iTunes, although in that case I did retrieve some of my iTunes files from my phone and these are already on the new Mac.

BTW, I just submitted my rating...hopefully you see that.

Perry

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Perry,

I got your rating, thank you very much :)

In the case of iPhoto, put the old iPhoto Library in the Pictures folder, and if it needs to be upgraded it will be done when you launch iPhoto.

For iTunes, delete the existing iTunes folder in Music, and put the old iTunes folder in there instead. It will get updated if needs be.

Let me know if any questions pop up, I will be happy to answer.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

David,

Ok, the iPhoto library copy completed and I moved it under the Pictures folder on the new Mac. When I open iPhoto, I get the following error:

Caution: The iPhoto library is on a locked volume. Reopen iPhoto when you have read/write access, or reopen iPhoto with the Option key held down to choose another library.

Thoughts?

Perry

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Perry,

It is still pointing to the old Macintosh HD connected by Target Disk Mode.

Launch iPhoto again with the Alt key held, and choose the library in the Pictures folder.

Let me know how it goes.

David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

David,

You officially rock! iPhoto is up and running.

I'm doing as you suggested for iTunes next. Need to copy first.

Perry

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Perry :D

Let me know if iTunes or anything else gives you any issues, and when you're ready to recover the old Mac.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

David,

I'm about to have to leave for several hours. I've moved all the files I need off of the old Mac. iTunes and iPhoto work great...thanks again!

I don't really need to 'recover' anything else from the old Mac, but it would be nice to wipe that drive and recover to factory settings.

Can you walk me through that?

Thanks,

Perry

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Perry,

On the old Mac restart and hold Alt.

You should see Recovery partition.

get back to me if you get that far, or if you can't see Recovery, do you have discs that came with the old Mac?

Then when you start the Recovery using the steps I will give, it will take a couple of hours, so its perfect that you have something else to do.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Go ahead and disconnect Firewire now I'm guessing?

I upgraded to Snow Leopard about a year ago. I have that disk.

Perry

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Perry,

Insert the Snow Leopard disc, and shut down the old Mac, and yes disconnect the FireWire.

Then start up and hold C, until the spinning gear.

Then to start from a fresh disk, open Disk Utility in the Utilities menu, and erase Macintosh HD.

Quit the Disk Utility and continue the installer.

It will take an hour at least.

Let me know if it gives any problems.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

David,

I have to leave now, but I will do this when I return.

Thank you so much for your help.

How does this work now?...can I leave this chat going for a few hours while I'm out, or do I need to reestablish tonight?

Perry

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Perry,

Nothing changes, just bookmark this page and come back to it when you want.

Sincerely,