Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I lost Safari--mistakenly deleted it. How do I get it back

Customer Question

I lost Safari--mistakenly deleted it. How do I get it back?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I dont know...im horrible with computers...please tell me how to look it up

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
In your Mac, goto Apple menu and select About This Mac. You can find the version number in there, like Mac OS X 10.7.4, 10.8 etc

Also, are you talking to me from different computer ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

MAC OS X 10.5.8 Im on the MAC

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
On your iMac,download Safari for your Macbook from here : http://download-euro.oldapps.com/Safari/Safari5.0.3Leopard.dmg

Then copy it to DVD or USB drive, put it on your Mac and install Safari from it.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Wont install--says this volume already has a new version of Safari installed

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Just as I thought. We have to Force Install Safari using a third party application named Pacifist. Download it from here : http://www.charlessoft.com/

Copy it to your Macbook. Install it. Then open Pacifist and load the Safari package in Pacifist and click the Install button. Follow onscreen instructions to install. Let me know if you have any difficulty doing it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok--now what do I do

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Did you tried the steps above ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I dragged the safari icon into the package, installed, and now it is asking for computer password XXXXX I don't know since the computer was given to me

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You need the administrator password XXXXX install anything to your Mac. Do you have the Mac OS X installation discs ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dont have the discs...

listen I am just a single mom with 3 kids and a friend gave me this computer. I am just trying to get my work done by Monday.

Friend, I need to pay my rent...is this going to cost me more than the initial deposit I made?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
No, this won't cost anything more than initial deposit. And you only have to pay after we solved the problem and satisfied.

If you don't have the discs, then you can create a new user account from Single User Mode. Then login to that new account and you can change the password XXXXX your old account.

Follow the steps below to create a new User Account in Single User Mode.

• Reboot your Mac
  • Immediately hold down the Command(Apple) + S key to boot into Single User Mode
  • When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

After rebooting, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account. Then goto System Preferences > Accounts, select your old account and change the password. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the old account.

Let me know how it goes..

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
If you don't want to go through all these steps, you can install another browser on your Mac called Firefox. Firefox is far better than Safari. You can download Firefox from here : http://download-euro.oldapps.com/Firefox/Apple/Firefox%2014.0.1.dmg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Im gonna try...how do I reconnect with you if I lose the connection?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me anytime you want. Good Luck !
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

got it. ok

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if that didn't work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the terminal commands to reset the password XXXXX working. Can you resend and tell me where there are spaces. Looks like there are spaces between the "uw" and the "/" in the first line and a space after "rm" and one before the third "/ "before the ".AppleSetupDone"

and then a space after "shutdown" and "h" in the third line.

Is that correct?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Sure. See the codes in detail below;

mount<space>-uw<space>/<enter/return>
rm<space>/var/db/.AppleSetupDone<enter/return>
shutdown<space>-h<space>now<enter/return>
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks so much...I will try this again

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You're most welcome :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok...got all that done...Im back to trying to extract Safari. It says file exists and do I want to replace, stop extraction or leave alone

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Click Replace. Then goto Apple and do all Software Updates
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Been clicking replace over and over again--looks like it is replacing several things...is that normal?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes, let it install the package.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok...also when I made all the adjustments to the accounts and registered...I was having trouble getting back on line...it kept asking for a keychain password...is that different from the regular password?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes, but it a common problem. This happens when you change the password XXXXX your Admin account. We can reset the Keychain Database to fix the Keychain problem
  1. Open Keychain Access from Applications > Utilites folder
  2. From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.
  3. Click Reset My Keychain, which is under the General pane.
  4. Authenticate with your account login password.
  5. Quit Keychain Access.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok fixed the keychain and replaced the folders...so go to Apple online and look for Safari software updates...before I try to find the application--is that right?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you can update via Apple menu > Software Update. But you can also open the Safari application before updating. Try Safari first and let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So go to applications and click on Safari application?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yup
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

K :)

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Did that work ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok..clicked on Safari icon and it took me straight to apple page...so should I just type in Safari updates for MAC OS X 10.5.8? And what do I do with the Pacifist thing? :)

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
No. Click on Apple menu and select Software Update to update your Mac. You can just trash the Pacifist. I'm glad you got your Safari back.
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yay! I have never been so nervous and never learned so much in a relatively short amount of time. Thanks Ashik. Peace and blessings...thank you for your patience with me.

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome :) BTW I have to say, you are not that horrible with computer. Actually you are very good with computers. Not everybody can follow these instructions like you do. Anyway, I'm glad you got it working again.

If you like my service, please rate me as Excellent Service.

Have a great weekend and God bless,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks so much. Yes you provided excellent service.

God be with you as well.

Faye Maher

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Thank You Faye !
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

:)

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Don't forget to click the Excellent Service smiley face to rate me. Then only I will get credit for helping you. Let me know if you can't find the rating option.

Take Care,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ashik...I tried moving the Safari to the list of icons at the bottom of the screen and it disappeared and I dont see it in applications...I hope to God I didnt delete it again..

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Search Safari in Spotlight (searchbox in the top right corner of your screen). Does it returns anything ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

there is a folder marked Safari and another folder that says 5.0.3

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Open it up and can you find Safari in it ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No Safari icon just folders that say Bookmarks and History

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.

Well, It seems like you've deleted it again. You have to reinstall it.

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Faye, you don't have to go through the resetting password steps agian. Just download Safari and install it with Pacifist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yep...thats what Im doing now. Geezzz....So...how do I put the icon at the bottom--do you know what I mean--in the toolbar? Thanks

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yep, that toolbar is also know as Dock. To add items to dock, click and drag the item and put it on your dock. Only release the button when the dock create room for it. If that didn't work, then hold down Control key and then drag it to the dock.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you again. Got it downloaded and got the updates

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
No Problem :)