Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

RA - 112

Customer Question

I had a hard drive go bad in my mac osx and it was replaced and ever since then I can not burn a cd. I get an error message that says, medium write error. I have tried different compeny's disks and get the same results. The burn starts good but the timer times out long before the music can be burned to the disk. this happens every time and I have tried slow, medium and fast burn speeds burn Can you help me. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 1 year ago.

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue - can you let me know what version of OSX you are using? If you go to Apple menu-->About this Mac it should be listed there

Steve Herrod :

Also, were the contents of the old hard drive cloned to the new one or was it a completely new installation?

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer :

Imac 7,1 lepord. It was a complety new installation.

Steve Herrod :

thanks - are you able to try setting up a new user account, logging in there and then seeing if the same issue persists?

Steve Herrod :

If you go to Apple menu-->System preferences-->Users you can add a new user account with the + button

Steve Herrod :

and then once the account is created, restart and login as the new user and see if same issue persists

Customer :

Hi steve, I set up another account. but i can not restart the computer. safari stops the restart and the shutdown. I must have done something wrong on the new account set up. HELP

Steve Herrod :

What message does Safari bring up?

Customer :

the application canceled restart

Steve Herrod :

ok - that might be because of this chat session

Steve Herrod :

so if you add this link to your favorites

Steve Herrod :

and then close Safari manually before restarting?

Customer :

Unable to quit safari That option Is not accessable

Steve Herrod :

in that case you'll need to use the Force Quit option

Steve Herrod :

Option-Command-Escape

Steve Herrod :

should let you quit Safari

Steve Herrod :

and then restart

Customer :

Sorry for the delay. I did the forced quit and restart and it appeares thar i will have to load music into the new account bef oe i can try to record anything

Customer :

is that true? If so that I do not want to have to do that and change users every time I want to use itunes.

Steve Herrod :

you would have to add some music to the new account just to test

Steve Herrod :

but that would be a good indicator of where the issue is and we could then correct the problem on the original account

Steve Herrod :

I am unfortunately going to have to opt out as need to go offline shortly. I'll make sure this is open to other experts who can pick this up and respond asap

Customer :

I added music to the new file and burned a good disk. now how i get the fix on my original account? I think the problem with the original account is that time remaining counts down to zero timer is counting down it counts down f

Customer :

Punched the wrong button - counter counts down to zero before it records two songs.

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you with your Mac question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Rachel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX trying

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Rachel

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find another Professional to assist you. Would you like me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for me to close your question at this time?

Thank you for your patience,
Lindie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I give up. thanks for trying. but you can take me off the list.