it's the latest mac - just starting today.
1. Be sure your Mac is shut down. If not, turn it off by holding the power button for 10-15 sec until it turns off.
2. Now turn it on.
3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).
5. If it enters the safe mode, restart the computer normally by clicking on the apple logo at the top left corner and then on “restart”.
i pressed the shift key and released when apple symbol came on, but it didn't do anything, the computer still shut off right after the apple symbol came on and the progress part tried to start, but didn't go anywhere - same as before - any other ideas?
1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.
did as you said. It did come on a second time and when i released, then like before went away as before. any other ideas - really appreciated it.
no discs that I know of - I believe montain lion but not 100% - but it just over one year ago.
okay, so almost there - i'm trying to install buyt it's saying my mac hd is locked?
only one Mac HD says 120GB total and 316MB available. Then says " This disk is locked" - any idea how to pass this or unlock it?
found disk utility, and then it gives me 2 options MAC HD and MAX OS base system - which do I want and what should I click - first aid, erase, restore, ?
now my options are verify disk? I sthat what I press? repair disk is greyed out. however, above Mac HD, I see something caleld 121.33 GB apple SSD - when I click on that repair disk options appears - should I try that one or what?
says can't repair, and I need to reformat disk and restore backed up files - can you help still?'
okay, thanks for trying - so will someone else respond or do you pass me on to someone? I don't mind losing hte contents - have it saved in a cloud folder. If you still think you can help knowing if I lose my files ,I'm okay, let me know.