ComputerGuru89
ComputerGuru89, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  10+ yrs experience in the Computing Industry, covering everything from Software Development, PM and General Computing Support
70591971

hi...as soon as i turn on my macbook air, i get the grey screen

Customer Question

hi...as soon as i turn on my macbook air, i get the grey screen and apple symbol, but then it turns off - any ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear that your mac is displaying a gray screen....:(

Don't worry. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

How long have you been facing this issue?

Also, do you know what version of mac are you using?

Thank You
Vinod
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it's the latest mac - just starting today.

Thank you.

Let's try some troubleshooting first.

Let's try starting it up in safe mode.

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down. If not, turn it off by holding the power button for 10-15 sec until it turns off.

2. Now turn it on.

3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.

4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

5. If it enters the safe mode, restart the computer normally by clicking on the apple logo at the top left corner and then on “restart”.

Let me know whether this resolves your issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i pressed the shift key and released when apple symbol came on, but it didn't do anything, the computer still shut off right after the apple symbol came on and the progress part tried to start, but didn't go anywhere - same as before - any other ideas?

Let's reset PRAM and NVRAM.

1. Shut down your Mac.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did as you said. It did come on a second time and when i released, then like before went away as before. any other ideas - really appreciated it.

Do you know what version of mac are you using? Like snow leopard 10.6, Lion 10.7 or Mountain Lion 10.8 etc

Also, do you have any discs that came along with the mac?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no discs that I know of - I believe montain lion but not 100% - but it just over one year ago.

Now we need to reinstall the OSX.

Important: You need to be connected to the Internet to reinstall OS X.
  1. Choose Apple menu > Restart, and then hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys while your Mac restarts.
  2. If you’re not connected to the Internet, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu (in the top-right corner of the screen).
  3. Select Reinstall OS X, and then click Continue.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions. In the pane where you select a disk, select your current OS X disk (in most cases, it is the only one available).
  5. To start the installation, click Install.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay, so almost there - i'm trying to install buyt it's saying my mac hd is locked?

:(

What are the drives listed there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

only one Mac HD says 120GB total and 316MB available. Then says " This disk is locked" - any idea how to pass this or unlock it?

Unfortunately, this issue dives deep into the mac, where I am no good at. I may have to pass this question to some other experts.

before that, try this step again.

3. Is there anything called "repair disk" or "disk utility"? If you have try repairing the disk, and then restart your computer normally.
  4. Let's see whether this resolves your issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

found disk utility, and then it gives me 2 options MAC HD and MAX OS base system - which do I want and what should I click - first aid, erase, restore, ?

take MAC HD. You can go for the first aid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

now my options are verify disk? I sthat what I press? repair disk is greyed out. however, above Mac HD, I see something caleld 121.33 GB apple SSD - when I click on that repair disk options appears - should I try that one or what?

go for verify disk first and see any errors pop up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

says can't repair, and I need to reformat disk and restore backed up files - can you help still?'

If you reformat the disk, then there is a chance that you will lose contents from the disk, unless you have a backup.

Since I am not good with that part, I will opt out here so that a different expert might be able to help you.

Sorry, I could not resolve your issue...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay, thanks for trying - so will someone else respond or do you pass me on to someone? I don't mind losing hte contents - have it saved in a cloud folder. If you still think you can help knowing if I lose my files ,I'm okay, let me know.

You can go for reformatting the drive and start over. But, there might be some other steps which may not require the reformat. That is why I am passing you to someone.

I have opted out.

No need to reply to me as that might lock out the other experts in replying to you.

You will get an email indication when other experts reply. It might take long as most of the experts are in the US and they may not be available right now.

Thank you.
Expert:  ComputerGuru89 replied 1 year ago.
Hello!

This question stood out to me as I had exactly this issue on my mac, went through all the steps above(all good advice!), but I couldn't repair my drive or reinstall Mac OS X it looked like my only option was to format the drive.

I was however able to repair my drive successfully using disc warrior, unfortunately it's not cheap though: http://www.alsoft.com/Buy/index.html

You boot from the CD and then run a repair.

As my colleague mentioned your other option is to reformat the drive and reinstall. Do you have you files backed up with time machine? If you do, then a format and reinstall will be a safe option.

Do let me know if you need any further assistance I'm here to help!