David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

I am trying to import my NOW Contact data to Apple Contacts

Customer Question

I am trying to import my NOW Contact data to Apple Contacts in Mountain Lion. I have not figured out how to import all the date as some of the data is in custom fields. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Curtis
Category: Mac
Expert:  webpagesby22 replied 2 years ago.

Are you importing your contacts from your mobile phone. IF so what is the make and model of your phone?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am importing the data from my G5 Mac to my MacBook Pro. I would like to find an app to do the export/import so the custom fields can port over. If you are unaware of an app, I need a walk through on creating a tabs delimited file. Thanks!

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is David, and I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

On your G5, which application has your contact information?

Do you have a USB stick, or have you any problems transferring a file?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The application on my G5 that has the contact information is NOW Contact, a program tat went out of existence a few years back. I have transferred the date in three forms from my G5 to my MacBook Pro in three formats. The formats are v-cards, which I can't seem to get the custom fields to port into Apple Contacts, but the rest will; a format that is native to NOW Contact that Apple Contacts does not even see; and a Tabs delimited file (my last known choice). Do you know of an App that will handle the transfer of all the date?

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Address Book should work OK if the CSV file is OK.

In Address Book click File Import, and choose the CSV file.

Let me know if this gives problems.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The CSV file will import the non-custom field data, however, I need two fields of custom data and I do not know how to adjust the CSV import to pick up those files.

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

You can also try with Mozilla Thunderbird, it may handle those fields properly.

www.mozilla.org/thunderbird/

Let me know if you have any problems.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I try this as a CSV file or should I go straight to Tabs delimited?

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

You can try with the CSV file.

You can also try one contact at a time to test.

Do you still have access to the old software, to try different export methods?

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I do and I will try this today and get back to you. Thank you!

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

You're very welcome, let me know when you are ready to continue.

Best regards,
David.
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Did the CSV from Thunderbird work OK?

Please let me know if it is still giving you problems.

Regards,
David.