Brian
Brian, Certified Apple Consultant
Experience:  I've been supporting Mac users and business professionally for 14 years.
34753528

I have a Mac computer and an I phone 5. The computer is upstairs.

Customer Question

I have a Mac computer and an I phone 5. The computer is upstairs. I want to be able to play the music on my computer to wireless speakers downstairs and be able to control the volume, skip tracks, etc using my I phone. Also, I want to be able to set my computer to play Pandora and have it play through the speakers but Pandora stops after awhile if it doesn't detect activity. I also have Apple TV. What do you suggest?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

Brian :

Hello. The Pandora issue can't really be worked around. It's configured to time out. If you have an AppleTV, you can send the audio from iTunes or from your iPhone.

Another option involves getting a sound utility like AirFoil or something similar. These utilities can send audio from any source on your Mac, not just iTunes.

Brian :

To control audio coming from your Mac, with your iPhone, you'd only need an app called Remote. It's made by Apple, and it's free. You can pair the app with your iTunes library, and browse playlists, change tracks, change volume.

Brian :

If you have multiple speaker setups or rooms, you can use an AirPort Express in those rooms and give them each a name (Living Room, Study, Patio, etc.) and select the destination for the audio from iTunes.

Brian, Certified Apple Consultant
Experience: I've been supporting Mac users and business professionally for 14 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could you please give me a call at (XXX) XXX-XXXX. I would like your thoughts re the brand of speakers to buy. I understand that Bang & Olufson has a good product.

Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
Phone numbers and emails are "xxxxxx"ed out when posted on Just Answer. Any speakers would be fine, provided they have a mini plug. You can buy smaller, powered speakers, or use speakers connected to a receiver and run an RCA <-> mini cable. That's how I have mine set up at home. Living room speakers to receiver, to AirPort Express.