jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair 2 years Apple Tech Support

When I connect my macbook air to my 40 inch LCD samsung tv,

When I connect my macbook air to my 40 inch LCD samsung tv, I get the computer screen (ie, the wall paper), but I do not get the computer information. I can get a connection with my smaller samsung tv, no problem. I just connect the cable between the computer and that TV, and viola, I have internet. What am I missing here?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an expert with Thank you so much for using our services. I am sorry your having trouble today and understand your frustration. Hopefully we can resolve your problem together.

The first thing that comes to mind is I wonder if the 40 inch is being detected as an extended monitor instead of mirroring you desktop.

If it is in extended mode you should see your mouse cursor if you scroll to the right or left with the mouse pointer. If you see the mouse pointer then you should be able to drag windows to the extended part.

also I know that the following keyboard commands can switch this mode.

Quick key commands for video controls:
  • Push Command-F1 to toggle between video mirroring and extended desktop
  • Push Command-F2 to detect displays

If this fixes your problem please take the time in giving me a good service rating for helping you with your problem. If you need more information please ask for more help and I will be glad to assist you more.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

None of the things you told me to do were helpful. But! You used a term "mirroring" which I did not know. For some reason I clicked on the tiny monitor icon at the top of my computer screen, and there was an option to click on"mirroring" which I did. And viola, the computer screen came up.

So I am satisfied and am willing to pay the $24.

I knew it was a setting some where. I am surprised the keyboard shortcut did not turn on mirroring as well.

If your satisfied please give me a good service rating and that will process the payment on my end.

Thank you for your time and also have a great Holiday