David Kirk
David Kirk, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  4+ yrs personal use experience, 2+ yrs Mac technical support experience, 13+ yrs desktop experience.

HELP!!!! We purchased Windows 8. We paid to have all our iTunes

Customer Question

HELP!!!! We purchased Windows 8. We paid to have all our iTunes backed up at Staples and to have Windows 8 installed. They told me I had to download a new iTunes program - which I did. I could not get the old information into the new program so we then paid the Staples Geek squad to put all of our iTunes information back into the iTunes program. They are not able to do this so they refunded our money. Now I am afraid to sync my iphone, ipod or ipad with the computer because I am afraid I will lose all of the information on each of those devises that is not in the iTunes program on my computer. HELP HELP HELP!!!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

if you sync your phone, you will indeed lose all your music.
I can give you a program that will download the music from the iphones, ipods, etc to the computer - would you like that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would like to do something. They tell me that the music is on the computer - in Windows Media Player - but only 347 of the songs will load into iTunes and those song are loaded into the program twice (there are doubles of every piece of music). I think there are about 900.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Do you want to do it yourself, or do you need help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Help!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need help for sure - 10 years of college and I still need help!

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Are you using a Mac or a PC?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dell PC

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Okay - I will forward this question back to the expert pool.

Please do not reply until a new expert responds.

Thanks!
Expert:  David Kirk replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

First, disable iTunes from automatically syncing by:

1. Launch iTunes and go to Edit->Preferences
  2. Click on the “Devices” tab
  3. Check the box next to “Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically”
  4. Click “OK” to exit out of Preferences

To transfer the music from your iPod/iPhone to your computer, you will need a third-party program:

1. Download and run the free SharePod program from: http://www.getsharepod.com/download/.
  2. Connect your iPod to your computer.
  3. Once it detects your iPod, you can click Copy to computer to copy the files to your computer.

Thanks!

David Kirk, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 4+ yrs personal use experience, 2+ yrs Mac technical support experience, 13+ yrs desktop experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It worked! Thank you. Should I change iTunes back to automatic sync?

Expert:  David Kirk replied 1 year ago.
That's totally up to you. It won't hurt anything to have it on automatic now that you have copied your data over. (Unless you have content on your other devices that hasn't been copied back to the computer yet.)

Glad to help. Smile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now ITunes says that is I want to copy a CD I must reinstall the program. What is that all about? Do I have to start over???? It also says I should turn off the compatibility mode for iTunes before opening it. How do I do that?

Expert:  David Kirk replied 1 year ago.
You don't have to start over, but you do need to reinstall iTunes. The nice thing is, your music will still be on your computer. Just close iTunes and then re-run the iTunes setup program from where you downloaded it before, choosing the repair option.

If this doesn't work, you may have to uninstall iTunes, reboot and then install iTunes again.

To turn off compatibility mode, right-click on the iTunes icon and select the Compatibility tab. Under the "Compatibility mode" section, uncheck "Run this program in compatibility mode for:". (This may be fixed by the repair operation above.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had to uninstall - reinstall - turn off the compatibility mode and IT WORKS!!! Thank you SO much!!!!!

Expert:  David Kirk replied 1 year ago.
Great!