Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  10+ years in hardware/software experience

I already spoke with Jesse and I thought the problem was corrected.

I already spoke with Jesse and I thought the problem was corrected. I purchased a Mac Pro from a government auction that sells items left unclaimed at the airport. I was able to go into utilities and change the password XXXXX access the computer. I did all this and even down loaded my iPhone. Everything was fine and then it wend dark and asked for a four number password XXXXX gives the guys phone number at the bottom (who originally owned it). I need to access the computer but now it doesn't let me. The original screen where I type my password XXXXX XXXXX and this security screen is showing up. What do I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the question. This is what happens when the user remotely "locks" the Mac using the "Find my iPhone" software from www.iCloud.com. The user must have registered the Mac with that software before he lost it, and now he is trying to lock it so that no one has access to his data. You will need to re-install a new copy of OSX on the machine in order to gain access to the machine again, or contact the owner to negotiate access back to the machine since you have purchased it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I bought it from the airline auction; not from him. I paid a good price for it and am not paying him money to give me the password. I already erased his information. How do I install an new copy of OSX and how much will that cost me?

Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
Believe me, I understand what you're saying. But the unfortunate truth is that you were sold an item that the original owner still had some control over. The airline clearly did not anticipate that when they sold the item. Did you call the original owner, and he wanted money to unlock it?

In either case, reinstalling OSX shouldn't cost you anything. Do you know which version of OSX is on there (ie - Lion, Mountain Lion, Snow Leopard)? I can get you the right instructions depending on the version you're on. Thanks again
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
Actually, after some more research I realize I misspoke. If the Mac is locked with a firmware password XXXXX by Find My Mac (which is the case with yours), only an Apple Store can unlock it. You'll need to bring the paperwork from the auction there to prove you are the owner and they'll take care of it for you free of charge. Sorry for the confusion, but that will be your only path to gain complete control over this machine. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks again!

Reference: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4006

"Only Apple retail stores or Apple Authorized Service Providers can unlock computers protected by a firmware password, such as passwords set with Find My Mac."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I'll do that. Thanks anyway.

Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Thank you!
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience: 10+ years in hardware/software experience