Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software

About how much would it cost me to get advice/help on setting

About how much would it cost me to get advice/help on setting up and running a simple website, presumably on Google sites? I have a Mac Pro. I just want to put up two long documents of mine, now existing on Word and PDF formats. The longest is about 150 pages long. Then I want viewers to be able to make comments and suggested corrections. (By email?) But I want to be the (only) one to decide on all changes.

I don't really want a blog because I want to put up the materials on day one and then not really add anything else.

Also, I don't care if Google or other host has my name and contact info, etc. But I would like to keep that off the site/away from the public, and just use an alias or nickname as far as "site owner" goes.

Can Steve Herrod or anyone else help? Please give an estimate of costs. (1) Costs for this tech support and (2) costs to set up and operate the website.
Thanks.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 1 year ago.

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I'll be happy to help

Steve Herrod :

There are a few options, do you know how many contributors you will be likely to have

Steve Herrod :

If it is just a couple of documents you want to share and control access to then it could be achieved quite easily with Google Docs itself

Customer:

Steve -

Customer:

I am not sure of what you mean by "contributors".

Steve Herrod :

sorry - how many viewers?

Customer:

Right now, I see only myself as just putting up a couple of (longish) document (lyrics to old, obsolete songs, and some recipes), and right now I don't foresee allowing anyone else to add material.

Customer:

However, potentially I would love for millions of people to view the site and send me comments and suggested corrections. (But not much chance of more than a few viewers, probably.)

Customer:

Thanks

Steve Herrod :

Ok - I'm thinking a Google solution would be a good place to start

Steve Herrod :

Google Docs (now Google Drive) will let you do what you need but would not have much in the way of functionality other than the raw document sharing and control of edits etc

Customer:

Great. I should add that the lyrics are in Italian, so it would be important to keep the accent marks in, like the accent mark over the "e"s. Without that, the word loses meaning (it may mean something else).

Steve Herrod :

shall I share a document with you via my Google Drive and you can see how it is presented? The accents/formatting shouldn't be an issue

Customer:

OK, but I thought (based on my ignorance) that Google drive was for sharing the preparation of documents with a certain set of known viewers. Like when 2 or 3 sides are preparing a contract. Here, though, (1) the document is already finished (although I am sure there are some mistakes in it) and (2) I do not know who the viewers are - - I want this to go out to unknown persons the internet and hopefully someone will be searching for lyrics to these songs, etc. Then, I don't want them to be able to contribute to the document. I'd want them to keep hands off it, no new drafts, etc. Just send me suggestions on the side, like in an email or blog or something. Does Google Drive do those things?

Steve Herrod :

It can be used for finished documents

Steve Herrod :

and can also be published directly on the web so you don't need to know the users

Customer:

OK, then that may be a solution. Could you please share that document with me?

Steve Herrod :

Here it is

Steve Herrod :

That will (once indexed by Google)

Steve Herrod :

be searchable on the web, and anyone can view and add comment

Steve Herrod :

it's fairly rudimentary but does work well

Customer:

Well, I looked at the page you sent. I am not sure if that will do the trick.

Steve Herrod :

ok, I saw a couple of users view the file

Customer:

1. I clicked on comment, and saw "edit". I did not go any further, but it seemed like comments/edits, would appear as balloons on that page, like with a marked-up text. I don't think I would want that because the page (if i did get any viewers) might get covered with comments. I would prefer that comments not be near the text of the document but rather in an e-¥mail or blog comment that i could review at my leisure.

Customer:

2. How would anyone find my doc/page? Would it appear on search engines like Bing or Google. I think that is what I want. So when someone googles, say, "lyrics for O Sole Mio" they might get my site as a suggestion.

Customer:

3. I would like to be able to link this to other existing sites.

Customer:

Is this still the way to go?

Steve Herrod :

it's certainly one way....

Steve Herrod :

when you comment, although it appears as a balloon style chat it should also send the document owner a notification e-mail, however I can see there could be issues with no 'approval' of comments

Customer:

OK, but would it do the things I asked about in those questions?

Steve Herrod :

Google would index the document so it would be searchable via the web

Steve Herrod :

and you could add the link to other websites as required

Steve Herrod :

so it's a fairly easy way of getting something like this started

Steve Herrod :

the next step up would be either a free Google or Wordpress site really

Customer:

I am prepared to spend a little, if a proper, standard website would be more suitable. However, then someone would have to write the code for me.

Steve Herrod :

Something like Wordpress is very straightforward, and also flexible if needs change in the future

Steve Herrod :

and should meet all the criteria as well

Steve Herrod :

although am a little biased as that runs my site :)

Customer:

Oh, and like i said, right now there are 2 docs. I was envisioning a simple home page, saying, essentially, "Welcome. Here are some lyrics and recipes. Then a viewer would click on "lyrics" or "recipes" and be taken to the long documents (15 pages long). There would be a table of contents for both. "Searchable" like in PDF would be great, if possible. Then, a "comments" or "contact me" function. That's it.

Customer:

OK, should I go to wordpress, or will you tell me about it?

Customer:

Can I go to your site?

Steve Herrod :

I'll be happy to help with wordpress (although for reference they have a good user community)

Steve Herrod :

yes - is here

Steve Herrod :

Site

Steve Herrod :

and there is a search plugin which would search any onsite content

Steve Herrod :

so we could add that (and other plugins) to a wordpress site to create something which would suit all requirements

Steve Herrod :

I meant to confirm earlier as well, in response to your initial question - the only charge here is the amount of the question

Steve Herrod :

in terms of running costs, unless you wanted a specific domain name then it could be done under a free account with Wordpress

Steve Herrod :

but let me know your thoughts and we can go through the details

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

Steve,

Customer:

I apologize for the delay. Your site looked great. But every time I go off of this page, to see your site or the document, I can't get back on - - it says "expert is loading data", and then it froze up. Now may be OK, but I don't know your schedule. Should we continue now or at a convenient time for you. Anytime laterr tonight or tmw is OK with me.

Customer:

Ken

Steve Herrod :

Thanks Ken - could we resume tomorrow?

Steve Herrod :

do seem to be some chat gremlins right now

Customer:

Sure thing. But not too early for me, please. From 10:30 EST on is OK with me. How will we initiate contact?

Steve Herrod :

if you send a message in this chat window then it will e-mail me

Steve Herrod :

and I'm online most of day

Customer:

OK

Steve Herrod :

great

Steve Herrod :

speak to you tomorrow then

Customer:

Hello, Steve,

Customer:

Are you available today?

Customer:

BTW, before i get started with a website (on Wordpress??), do i need to go somewhere else and buy a domain name first, or can that be done as we go along?

Customer:

Please remember that I don't want to use my real full name, identified on the site as the owner, etc. Just "Ken" would be OK. I also have an "alias" (second name) second account on earthlink that I would like to use in association with this new website.

Customer:

Ken

Steve Herrod : Cheers
Steve Herrod : Steve
Customer:

Are you around now?

Customer:

Hi Steve, I'm here.

Customer:

hi

Customer:

are you available?

Customer:

Please refer to above question about domain name.

Steve Herrod :

Sorry - had some connection issues

Steve Herrod :

looks like half my message got truncated....

Steve Herrod :

the best thing is to arrange a domain name first

Steve Herrod :

as otherwise content would need moving to the new setup if you arrange this later

Steve Herrod :

and can lead to some problems

Steve Herrod :

that said - do you need a specific domain name or would websitename.wordpress.org be sufficient?

Steve Herrod :

we can keep names/identities as anonymous as required either way

Customer:

websitename.wordpress.org would be sufficient.

Customer:

shoul

Steve Herrod :

ok - then we can go with a free solution

Steve Herrod :

sorry - my mistake, will be websitename.wordpress.com

Customer:

Great. Although if I have to spend a little to get a necessary or helpful feature/function, that is OK, too.

Steve Herrod :

ok - well I think the wordpress.com solution is a good one

Customer:

OK. More connection probs?

Steve Herrod :

my browser died :)

Customer:

Oh, sorry. OK, do I just go to that site and follow instructions (including getitng a domain name) or do you think I still need ur help?

Steve Herrod :

you just go to wordpress.com and choose the 'Get Started' button

Steve Herrod :

I'll be happy to help ongoing though - even if you rate a question here you can still send updates etc

Customer:

OK, one last thought. Considering it will be free or cheap, I don't have much right to complain. But will they stick all kinds of advertising of their choosing on my page? (And if a site does get millions of visits/hits, does the owner get anything from the advertisers?) Not much chance of that on mine, but I'd like to know what kind of ads and other stuff will appear.

Steve Herrod :

no, they won't put ads on it etc

Steve Herrod :

have my son's free one so you can see what it is like

Customer:

OK, Thanks. I have to go to work now but will try wordpress tonight.

Steve Herrod :

great

Steve Herrod :

Just checking in and wondered how things were going

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

Steve,

Customer:

Thanks for checking in. Not going so good.

Customer:

I "registered" with WordPress and got a domain name. Actually I went whole hog, since right now I have a temp job. So I even paid for a domain name/bought the WordPress package.

Customer:

Now, somehow, I have a sort of pro to-home page, although it doesn't look like any home page I have ever seen (much less like your son's cute one).

Customer:

I realize that I have to do some work to get this looking like something, but I am having problems.

Customer:

I keep trying to select one of the WordPress templates for a page design, but cannot do so. When I go to the help/support page, it says to click on "edit", etc. on my page, but i cannot find that function on my page at all.]

Customer:

Also, I wanted to put my text on a "page" (i.e., as a permanent feature) not as a blog. Somehow, after fumbling around, i think i was able to upload a pdf file from my computer files, but where it is located on my WordPress site, I just do not know. When I click on what appears to be the page button, I get the title of my text, but not the text itself.

Customer:

Also, the instruction from Wordpress are a bit confusing, because they keep telling me what to do to set up my blog, but I do not want a blog.

Customer:

I just want a simple design (for now) template and "buttons"/icons on the top that say, "Home"; (maybe) "Blog" (which I may use at some point); "Lyrics"; "Recipes"; "Links"; and "E-mail" (or "Contact me"). And when you click on "Lyrics" you'll see my 150~170 page document, and when you click on "Recipes" you'll see my 20-odd recipe document.

Customer:

Lastly, I want to be the only one who can edit the documents and change the pages.

Customer:

That's it.

Customer:

I am now home from work and will monkey around with the site, trying to follow the advice on WordPress support pages, etc. But last night I was just hitting dead ends, particularly because i could not click on things that were supposed to be on my home page but which I could not find.

Customer:

So any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Customer:

Ken

Steve Herrod :

Thanks Ken - can you let me know the URL so I can take a look?

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

Thank you Steve.

Customer:

BTW, I did find how to locate the "dashboard", which leads to ways to edit the page, etc., so that eliminates one of my questions above. However, I am still at a loss as to how to use the tools on the dashboard. i tried to create pages and a menu, but apparently without success (unless these things are now hidden somewhere in my website).

Customer:

The domain name is: mazzolindicanti.com

Customer:

[don't ask! Actually, that's based on a famous old folksong.]

Customer:

But I think you may also want:

Customer:

mazzolindicanti.wordpress.com/wp-admin/

Customer:

I may have chosen the wrong "theme" [as Wordpress calls it] or template for the site, but it seemed like the simplest one.

Customer:

However, I'd like to change the buttons or menu at the top as I described in the last email. The present template, for example, has an "about me". I could delete that and have "Lyrics" and Recipes" instead, if that would get viewers to the "pages" of text.

Steve Herrod :

Thanks - will take a look, usually with Wordpress the most common issue is content is added/edited but unless specifically published it doesn't show on the site

Steve Herrod :

so at moment it looks a nice uncluttered theme

Steve Herrod :

so I wouldn't change too much there

Steve Herrod :

once logged in to the wp-admin site it should be fairly straightforward to amend the buttons etc

Steve Herrod :

I don't have the ability to login to your wp-admin site without credentials but if you want to go through the steps together let me know a good time. I'm online for the next hour and then out for a few hours before being back again

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

Well, I was going to go to work now, but if you are available now (which i greatly appreciate), this is more important. What should i do?

Steve Herrod :

when will you finish work?

Customer:

Not until 6 or 7 tonight. But I can spare an hour now if you can.

Steve Herrod :

ok - let's give that a go

Customer:

OK

Steve Herrod :

so if you can login to the wp-admin site

Customer:

OK, but I believe that on this mac I can only be on one site/window at once, so I will have to go back and forth, I'll get back to you as soon as I I login. BTW, I don't mind if you log in too. Nothing secret on that site.

Steve Herrod :

well, if you can let me know the credentials will be happy to take a look

Customer:

OK. I am in. But if you would take a look, that might help.

Customer:

user name: anselmo2012

Customer:

password: 22ECliftonAve

Customer:

Do you need anything else?

Steve Herrod :

just logging in

Steve Herrod :

ok - if you go to the Pages section on left hand side

Steve Herrod :

there is this

Steve Herrod :

Quel Mazzolin di Canti Compilation - Draft

Steve Herrod :

the Draft tag denotes that it hasn't been published yet

Steve Herrod :

and on right hand side there should be a big blue Publish button

Customer:

OK will go there.

Customer:

OK, I clicked on publish Hope it was the right one. But I don't see anything different on the site . . .

Steve Herrod :

just checking

Steve Herrod :

do you see Lyrics and Recipe headings now?

Customer:

Yes, I do! That's progress. But under Lyrics (when I click on it) the actual posted lyrics page does not appear - - just a duplicate of the message I put on the Home Page appears. - - I think.

Steve Herrod :

ok - were those lyrics the PDF files?

Customer:

Yes. But I can send them in Word as an alternative.

Steve Herrod :

that's ok

Customer:

BTW, I did not yet send the recipes - - Just the one lyrics file so far (although I tried to send it several times, so there may be unwanted duplicates of that.)

Steve Herrod :

can you refresh the lyrics page again?

Customer:

Sorry (d'uh) how do i do that? Is there a "refresh" tab?

Steve Herrod :

F5 should do it

Customer:

OK. Just like on a pc

Steve Herrod :

yep

Customer:

OK. That worked! The lyrics are now there. I think I can do the recipes later , so as not to waste your time. I guess by importing from my computer and then making sure that i hit "Publish". But my initial question is how do I make sure the recipes get on the proper recipe page and not as another post to the lyrics part of the menu?

Customer:

Then I guess my remaining questions are:

Customer:

1. Is there some way to delete the unwanted tabs/buttons on the menu?

Customer:

If I add a button saying "links", will that really give me a way to link?

Customer:

3. Can people now send me emails or blof messages to the site or do i (you!) have to do a lot more?

Steve Herrod :

I would add all your items under the media tab on left hand side, then once in the Lyrics or Recipes page you click on the 'Add Media' tab which will let you choose which item goes where

Steve Herrod :

then hit publish

Steve Herrod :

what tabs/buttons are unwanted?

Customer:

Hold on, I'll check.

Steve Herrod :

Comments are enabled

Steve Herrod :

if someone leaves one you will receive an e-mail asking you to approve it or not

Steve Herrod :

via the Comments tab

Customer:

I guess "Uncategorized" is it.

Steve Herrod :

is done

Customer:

Yes, I see, Thanks very much.

Customer:

That leaves the "links" question, and that may be it, unless you can think of anything important i should know before I try to stumble on.

Steve Herrod :

what was the links question again?

Customer:

Well, I suppose I can add a button that says Links at the top, as we did for Lyrics and recipes. But will that actually do anything? Will I actually be able to link with other sites?

Steve Herrod :

Yes, if you go to Pages-->Add New and call it Links

Steve Herrod :

then in the body of the Links page just put in the addresses of other sites

Customer:

OK, but then what? Just type in URLs, etc. of favorite sites? (Once I get their permission, of course.)

Customer:

Sorry, I did not see the final sentence of your reply before i wrote the above.

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Customer:

OK, that may be all for now. I'm sure that I will have many questions before i get the site looking like i want it to, but as far as i can see you have answered the questions I wanted. So, do you have any more advice for now? If not, maybe this is it.

Steve Herrod :

I think you're in a good place with it, I like the theme and so long as you remember to publish after performing any edits things will be fine

Steve Herrod :

you can always come back to me even once the answer is rated without incurring additional charges too

Customer:

OK, thanks again. I will now go one to "rating" you. (And go to work!)

Steve Herrod :

thank you :)

Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software