John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

hi, im locked out of my MAC OS X.....for some reason it wont

Customer Question

hi, i'm locked out of my MAC OS X.....for some reason it won't let me type my password XXXXX???
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is John, I will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Don't forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Is your keyboard not working or it simply won't accept the password?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I go to put in the password, nothing types, so no 'dots'

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

are you there?

,

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Matt.

Simple question; have you tried restarting the Mac?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I have

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

What version of OS X are you running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i'ts a mac book pro

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Do you not know the version of OS X installed, however? OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, 10.7 Lion, etc...?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no idea, i'm really sorry

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay,

Does your login screen look like this?

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, it's a pale grey square, with an apple at the top, then Mac OS S under that, then matthew hurley's Macbook pro. below is a slightly darker inset square with my name and password space bar. below that, is back, forgot passwod and login

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Alright, You're probably running an ealier release (10.5 or 10.6).

Restart your Mac

As soon as you hear the Startup chime, press and hold the SHIFT key

Continue to hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Then, let go of the Shift key and let it boot to the login screen. See if you can type in your password.

If you can, restart the Mac once more and verify it continues to work.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question and if so please don't forget to rate my service

Register Here
. If you continue to have questions on this topic, do not rate yet, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, that hasn't worked

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, let's tryt his next;

Shut down the computer.
Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can you clarify which is the option key?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
It should actually be labeled "option" or perhaps "alt" on most keyboards. Generally it is next to the Command key on the same row as the space bar.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, tried that and still I can't type in the password box. What next?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell if the keyboard itself is working at all?

Try this to see if it is (and, also, check your file system if you can type) ;

Restart your Mac

Immediately press the "Command"(Apple) key + "S" Key at the same time and hold them down.

The screen should go black and you should start seeing white text, then let go of the keys.

After a short period of time you will land at a command prompt.

At the command-line prompt, type:
/sbin/fsck -fy

and Press Return.

(fsck is a file system checker. It will run through a battery of tests, looking at different aspects of your file system.

When it's done, it will normally produce one of two messages

1) "The volume (name of your hard drive) appears to be OK

If it states the above, then your drive is fine and you can simply type "reboot" at the prompt to restart your Mac and boot back to the Desktop.

2) If fsck found any errors, it may have tried to correct them and will display this message: --FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED--

If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed at the beginning

/sbin/fsck -fy

and Press Return.

Keep repeating this until it reports your drive is OK.

If by some reason you need to do the above more than 5 times, this indicates a more serious issue. At the very least, the hard drive needs to be formatted and OS X should be re-installed.

However, assuming everything goes okay, type 'reboot' at the prompt and then press Return.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Matt,

Were you able to press those keys and see the black screen as requested?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately we can't type anything, although we did pull up the page you said. The key board just will not type a darn thing :(

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
To clarify you were able to use Command + S to bring up the black screen but could not type the /sbin/fsck -fy command? Or did that work but on restart the login screen was still not functional?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, yes to which?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

we managed to bring up the screen, but the keys won't type what you suggested. It seems all the keys are locked

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay,

had you been having any issues with the keyboard prior to this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, but I'm starting to wonder if someone has maybe split something on it and not told me. Would liquid damage do this?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, theoretically, liquid damage could cause a symptom such as this. I'm curious about it partially working for the last procedure though.

Try this last procedure.

Shut off the MacBook Pro.

Restart and as soon as you hear the chime, press and hold the following keys:

COMMAND,OPTION, P, R.

If it works you should hear the chime a second time - then let go. If you do not hear a chime or it shows the Apple logo and progress indicator as it boots, then let go as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so nothing has happened when I press and hold that combination. At the screen with Shift + S I could type / but no letters. Any other ideas?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid this does indeed sound like a physical failure. It could be from liquid damage or simple failure of an internal component.

I'm afraid your next best option is to seek the service of an Apple authorized repair center.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

fair enough, thought that might have been the case

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, if it was only failing while using the operating system then it would likely be software but the last procedure is purely a hardware procedure.

Good luck!