Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

RA - CE

Customer Question

2. Updated Flash player and now I can't hear or see video's on line. Took it off and reinstalled but still nothing. Please help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I was answering you go here and tell me what it says at the top of the page

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Go to the Apple Logo to System Preferences / Security / General tab under Allow applications downloaded from: make sure the middle one is selected:

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did that but it's not highlighted so can't click on anything.

It already says "Allow applications downloaded from anywhere"

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK there is a lock at the bottom you have to click on. Go to System Preferences/ Flash Player go through the tabs and make sure you aren't blocking it.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Also under Advanced under Updates click on Check Now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where is "Advanced" Don't see it.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
System Preferences/Flash Player
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Says:

Plug-in version 10.3.183.7 is installed.

Plug in blocked

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Check Allow Adobe to install updates then click on Check Now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did that.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
And that is when it says:

Plug in blocked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Go here and install it manually:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll have to do this later. I have to leave in a few minutes. Will try it tomorrow.

Thank you.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm back. Are you here?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes did you install the new version?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, installed Flash player but a window came up with my name and asked for my password. I entered every password XXXXX think I've ever used. No luck. I did this another time and went to Flash "help" . It asked for the original name I signed up with Flash for. It's been so many years I just don't know. My e-mail addresses have changed several times.

Is there anything I can do to bypass all this or ????

Thanks.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You don't "sign up" for Flash so I don'tknow what you are looking at. It is asking you for your computer password XXXXX same one you use to install ANY software.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've tried every password XXXXX can think of. It just keeps flashing so I have to try again. I thought I must have signed up for it and just forgot when since I've had it for so long. I don't have trouble installing anything else.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did you download it from the link I gave you? Did you see this window?

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK did you check the little license box many people forget to do that?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
If you have installed software recently it is the same password.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Haven't installed new soft wear recently. I did change my password XXXXX Mac. I think I did that after I tried installing Flash. It won't take that password XXXXX I did check the little license box.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK then you will have to reset the admin account password. Go here and follow the directions under:

Resetting the original administrator account password
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Why do I have to change my account password?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Because you don't know what it is and you need that to install ANYTHING.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Been trying it without success.

To change the password XXXXX asks for the old password XXXXX Nothing I try works.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Which username did you choose to reset it should not ask for a password:

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mac OS X

version 10.7.5

processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 2 GB 13333 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Restart and hold Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Before I do this I thought I'd tell you that I just changed my password.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok I would do that first then try installing Flash again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Should I take all the Flash I have on the computer and trash it?

Do you still want me to do the restart & command.....that you said a couple of messages ago?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes:

You don't have to remove Flash just install the latest version after you check the drive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just checked the drive & will install Flash

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok hopefully the password XXXXX took.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Same thing when I try to install Flash. No matter what password XXXXX put in it just flashes & won't take it.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions?

Go here and download Maintenance for your system version, install it, run it and follow directions then check all boxes and Execute. It will ask for your password. Restart.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/download.php

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have to leave soon for a doctors appt. Will have to do this when I get back. Thanks for all your help.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did the download like you said. It asked for my password XXXXX won't take any of them that I tried.

I'm so frustrated with all this that I'm ready to scream!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What now???

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hold “Option” at boot and select the “Recovery” disk at the boot menu

Wait for “Mac OS X Utilities” menu to appear, indicating that you are booted into recovery mode

Click on the “Utilities” menu and select “Terminal”

graphic

Type the following:

resetpassword

Confirm the user account and then the password XXXXX and reboot Mac OS X 10.7 as usual with your new password

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No "Terminal" Says: Select disk, volume or image (choices)

500.11 GB Toshiba MK

Macintosh HD

Disk 1

Mac OS Base System

Clicking on any of above takes to window saying:

First Aid/Erase/Raid/Restore

or Partion

No way to type anything on that screen.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
This is what you should see when booting from Recovery HD and going to the Utilitites menu:
graphic

If you don’t see that then you are not booted to Recovery HD or you are not running Lion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have just followed your directions for the 4th time. A window comes up that says:

Mac OSX Utilities

(options are)

Restore from Time Machine Backup

Reinstall Mac OSX

Get Help on Line

Disk Utility----This is the one I click on and get the same info that I reported to you in the last message.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Sorry that last image was wrong, look at the top of the screen like the first picture I sent, don't click on Disk Utility look at the top of the screen:

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did that. Changed the password & it instructed me to restart the computer & use Keychain access in the Utilities folder in Appl. folder. I did that

and it would let me access the new password.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now a window comes up on Mail and Safari asking for my Keychain password XXXXX they won't take the new one.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I am out of ideas. I will opt out and hopefully another expert can help you. Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please tell me how I can get the Keychain to not ask for password. I'm afraid that it won't let me access mail or safari if the computer is turned off.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I have opted out