Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have a iomega go 1tt hard drive and I am trying to connect

I have a iomega go 1tt hard drive and I am trying to connect with montain lion , but the system does not recognize the drive, it is like the software was erased???
Is it a new drive?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no, I had before on time machine then I upgraded to montain lion

and time machine told i was full of back-ups , so I tried to erase the back-ups using utilities(I am no expert of computers)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is also connected via a fire wire to the mac

OK so you just want to erase it? Select the first icon in the Dock, the face (FInder), then go to the top left of your screen to Finder / Preferences / General and check all boxes under Show these items on the Desktop.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

still do not see it

OK when you opened Disk Utility did you see it listed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No! Nothing related
Go to Apple Logo to About this Mac, then More Info then System Report, select FireWire on the left now do you see the device on the right?
I am trying to determine if it is the enclosure or the hard drive that has failed. Did you do that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes the device is there

Ok if the device is there in System Report and yet it does not show up in Disk Utility, then most likely the hard drive inside has failed. We can try another fix but I need this:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

version 10.8.2

processor : 2 X 2,8 Ghz quad core intel xeon

memory: 4gb 800 Mhz ddr2 fb-dimm

Restart and hold Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.

Also Verify Disk on the Iomega if it shows up in Disk Utility. Let me know after
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just restarted with command and R and the iomega disk did not show up

the ohter internal did but not the iomega and then in the disk utility indid not show up either

So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions on Macintosh HD?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes ! but I still do not see the iomega in the disk utility

Yes I get that but I wanted you to check the internal drive Macintosh HD.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did both of what you asked I verified the disk and it was ok and then repaired the permission on the macintosh hd

OK we have checked everything possible that could be causing this issue. If it does not show up in System Report then there is a compatibility issue with the USB on the newer Mac and the Iomega. 99% of the customers that have problems with external drives have Iomega drives. I don't recommend their product for Mac users. I know that does not help you at this point but it is what it is. If you try it on another new Mac of the same model I bet you will get the same issue.